Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-04-2009, 06:48 AM

Default PC Build.. Will this work?

This is my first time building a PC. I've been using PT for almost 5 years, am certified, and know the program well.. What i DON'T know well is building computers. I'm not looking to be running crazy sessions, and well only be for personal and "semi"-professional situations. I don't need a powerhouse, just a stable system.

For now, I'm running PT 7.4, but if it seems feesible, I'll upgrade to 8.

I know there is the "PC build" forum... but man that is hard to sift through. A simple "yes" or "no" will suit me just fine here, unless you had recommendations or additional thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Intel Core 2 Duo E5200
Asus P5QL PRO
4 GB DDR2-PC6400 / 800 MHz
Okia 450 Watt Power Supply

I understand this is still missing pieces, I'm not that dumb, but I wanted to at least make sure I was alright so far before making other decisions. The need to upgrade anything here will affect future decisions like hard drive size...

Cory
Old 06-04-2009, 07:28 AM

Default Re: PC Build.. Will this work?

You really should go with a quad core cpu. I would go at least with the Q6600. You need a video card but cheap is good there(I use a $37 MSI GeForce7300LE). 2 hard drives are a must but the system drive can be small(80 gig is plenty unless you plan on having tons of samples). I think 320-500 gig is plenty of audio drive for a casual user. The 450 watt power supply should be okay but I would up it to 550-600 watts. A good DVD burner is ony about $23 so no problem there. Are there any pieces from your old system that you can keep using(case, PSU, optical drive)? I know money is tight, but consider how long you hope to use this computer. That motherboard has no firewire so budget for an approved card if you want to use a firewire interface or external drives.

The performance difference between dual and quad cores is pretty steep. As for the threads that you feel are too long to go thru, just checkout the first 2 pages of each(and maybe the last 2) as you will get the most important info on page 1. Good luck

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-04-2009, 07:56 AM

Now THAT is what i'm talking about... incredibly helpful response! Thank you so much!

As far as HDs, I'm not too concerned about too much space, but will definitely be getting 2 anyway. My record drive doesn't have to be too big anyway, because I have almost 2 TB of external storage that I transfer to when I'm not actively working on a session.
My old PC was a '02 Gateway (yes! it has lasted me this long, and I STILL record/mix on it, believe it or not.. pretty impressive) P4 2.2 GHz, 1 GB ram.
As far as video card is concerned, I was waiting to budget it until I got everything else squared away.
My plan is try to keep things as budget friendly as possible for now (saving for a move from ME to Austin, TX in the fall) so do you think if I got that core2 now it would suit me fine until I had more money to blow and could upgrade it to a quad? The biggest reason I want to build my own is for upgrade options and to be able to buy what I NEED now, and be able to buy what i WANT later .
And one last thing.. the power supply.. basically the same question as the core2 question above... will it do for now? Or will I be kickign myself when I get it all put together?
The beauty is that I'm so used to just printing VIs that it's not going to kill me to not be able to go crazy with them. My biggest concern is verb/delay. I love me some delay...

Sorry if that was incredibly long-winded, and thank you again for the help so far!

Cory
Old 06-04-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
My old PC was a '02 Gateway (yes! it has lasted me this long, and I STILL record/mix on it, believe it or not.. pretty impressive) P4 2.2 GHz, 1 GB ram.
The point of me telling you that is that nothing from that can be taken to use for a new PC.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eless View Post
This is my first time building a PC. I've been using PT for almost 5 years, am certified, and know the program well.. What i DON'T know well is building computers. I'm not looking to be running crazy sessions, and well only be for personal and "semi"-professional situations. I don't need a powerhouse, just a stable system.

For now, I'm running PT 7.4, but if it seems feesible, I'll upgrade to 8.

I know there is the "PC build" forum... but man that is hard to sift through. A simple "yes" or "no" will suit me just fine here, unless you had recommendations or additional thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Intel Core 2 Duo E5200
Asus P5QL PRO
4 GB DDR2-PC6400 / 800 MHz
Okia 450 Watt Power Supply

I understand this is still missing pieces, I'm not that dumb, but I wanted to at least make sure I was alright so far before making other decisions. The need to upgrade anything here will affect future decisions like hard drive size...

Cory
take a look at my signature. ive had this build for 2 months and havent had a problem yet. as far as the processor, i would just go for the quadcore. itll save you any headaches you might run into. definitely go with a 550w PSU at the least.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:23 PM

what about the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400? Will this suit me? I'm still trying to cut corners on cost.. (and yes, I do understand that that means cutting corners on quality.) But will this be ok??
Old 06-04-2009, 12:40 PM

The Q8400 is a little short on L2 cache. The Q6600 is a better bet. The Q9550 is better yet. The price difference now is better than having to upgrade in the near future. But you will be the best judge of that.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eless View Post
what about the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400? Will this suit me? I'm still trying to cut corners on cost.. (and yes, I do understand that that means cutting corners on quality.) But will this be ok??
It will be better than the E5200

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-04-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
It will be better than the E5200
True enough.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-04-2009, 01:13 PM

is there an L2 Cache number i should be looking for? Like a "recommended minimum?" what exactly are the benefits of it in PT terms? (again, i'm new to building.. please be kind. haha)