Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-15-2018, 02:11 PM

Default Can not get a good metal tone!

I have been trying for a while to get a decent metal guitar tone. I bought a used POD HD300 and wanted something a bit better but still fairly cheap so I decided to grab an Eleven Rack. I am not happy with it at all, I can not get a decent tight metal tone. Everything sounds weird, I have some decent studio headphones and tried different stereos I have in my house. Sure, I need monitors but I can get tones using VST effects that I like with the audio setups I have. The treadplate sounds terrible sounds like it needs a tube screamer or something even after I mess with all the distortions. I have been messing with the DC Modern SOD but still not entirely happy with the tone I get. Any advice would be helpful. I want something I can use for playing 1 to 2 gigs a year and really want to just do digital straight to the board. Thanks
Old 03-15-2018, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Can not get a good metal tone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elute123 View Post
I have been trying for a while to get a decent metal guitar tone. I bought a used POD HD300 and wanted something a bit better but still fairly cheap so I decided to grab an Eleven Rack. I am not happy with it at all, I can not get a decent tight metal tone. Everything sounds weird, I have some decent studio headphones and tried different stereos I have in my house. Sure, I need monitors but I can get tones using VST effects that I like with the audio setups I have. The treadplate sounds terrible sounds like it needs a tube screamer or something even after I mess with all the distortions. I have been messing with the DC Modern SOD but still not entirely happy with the tone I get. Any advice would be helpful. I want something I can use for playing 1 to 2 gigs a year and really want to just do digital straight to the board. Thanks
I've made thousands of presets for the Eleven Rack, mostly metal

Click DOWNLOAD ALL link

https://elevenrackusers.blogspot.com...rack-rigs.html

Try turning the gain down on the presets, I set it high because I like it when just playing alone, but it can be turned down when mixing with other elements.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-16-2018, 06:02 PM

Thank you! I have been through a few of these and they arent too bad. I will keep messing with this 11R+presets and see what I can come up with. I really want a digital solution as opposed to lugging around an amp and hoping I can achieve a decent tone with this 11R.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:50 PM

What about using a tube preamp before the 11R?
Old 03-17-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elute123 View Post
Thank you! I have been through a few of these and they arent too bad. I will keep messing with this 11R+presets and see what I can come up with. I really want a digital solution as opposed to lugging around an amp and hoping I can achieve a decent tone with this 11R.
Go through all of them, it will take you awhile, and tweak.

You will find something to use in this pack. Some of these presets have been used by signed touring bands in the way you describe.

You can also go to www.elevenrackpresets.com
Between all those presets, if you can't find the tone you want with the 11R, you may want to check out the AxeFX or the Kemper. Both of those have more amps and cabs and options. There is also the Positive Grid BIAS Head.

With all those options I guarantee you will find something that suits the tone you want and will be able to replace dragging an amp around. But you are the only one who knows the tone you want. Have fun finding it.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-17-2018, 03:08 PM

I didnt know BIAS made a head?!?! I just looked it up it seems legit. I really want a Fractal AX8 pedal board deal but thats like way out of my budget. If I record I usually use VST effects for tone like BIAS or Guitar Rig but I have really been into the free VST guitar plugins (Ignite Amps and Le Pou/Poulin) and using IR for cabinet modeling. I am to the point where I almost want to use VST effects live haha but if my computer/DAW crashed that would be embarrassing.

I am having more luck with tone, I dont like how the Treadplate seems to be very heavy on the low end it makes it almost flabby sounding (if that makes sense). I am using a bottom of the barrel Ibanez Gio 7 string and I am almost certain thats half my problem. So far the DC Modern SOD seems to me the amp I like the most working on a good Treadplate tone at the moment.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:13 PM

Well I found out part of my problem (I think) I was looking at the input meter for my dry guitar and yeah its like crazy clipping when I am playing. Single notes not so much clipping but I looked it up and found out that my guitar input circuit might be broken I am now running into my hd300 and into the mic input on the 11r and I noticed stuff sounding a good bit better.