Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2013, 12:00 AM

Default Studio politics:how do I make it hard for someone to mess my work after I hand it off

So,the situation is this:I have been called on to produce/mix/play on 3 additional tracks for a client that is signed to an independent label that also owns a recording studio.I am supplying the instrumentation,production,and stems for the other company to mix. The other company has already produced seven tracks for the same artist using their in house studio,cutting crew,etc. This is not my first rodeo:as it happens,I have had horrible luck in a similar situation many times because of studio politics.(That is,it is in the other company's best interest to make my work look as bad as possible to protect their company's 'brand'.In one case,the other studio ran our tracks through a cassette player to make them sound cheap. They succeeded.)What I need to know is this:is there anything I can do to make it ridiculously hard for them to mess my work up?I'm thinking of using a bit of buss compression and meticulous eq to where the song nearly balances itself without need for alteration and all stems I send them sound finished when they get there.I really know the answer to this question,mostly(it's completely out of my control,deal with it),I'm just trying to see if someone has ideas about what to do to better handle the situation.Thoughts?Thanks folks.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Studio politics:how do I make it hard for someone to mess my work after I hand it

Geez, people still do that crap in this day and age?! I feel your pain on that one! Maybe the best solution is to get paid for it, but ask to NOT be credited, or to be credited in an ambiguous way. When I tune vocals for other studios, I might be listed as "additional vocal mastering" or some other generic thing I'd rather not be a target and fly a bit under the radar sometimes

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-05-2013, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Studio politics:how do I make it hard for someone to mess my work after I hand it

If you're still getting paid, and you know the project is going to suck, just use a pseudo-name for your credit. If they are deliberately going to screw up the work on purpose to keep you from getting paid, it's time to find other clients. I have walked away from some things that people would tell me I'm crazy to walk away from, but if you see a red flag, it's not worth having someone destroy your reputation or rip you off.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:08 AM

The only way is to somehow get a good recording of your work into the hands of someone who counts and make sure they know what's going on. It sounds like even a rough mix coming from you might be a better representation than what they are handing on.

I don't know why they would subcontract you just to wrong foot you. It seems like if you did actually suck they'd be showing bad judgement in hiring you in the first place. So I'm confused as to the motives.

Maybe spend a little cash for a while and have somebody make the best mix they can of your tracks, even if you don't have the final finals of everything at your disposal. You deserve to have your stuff shown in the best light.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:54 AM

Howdy folks. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has been bitten by this bug.It might be helpful to some to know that I am being subcontracted by a client who is new to this whole making a record thing rather than the indie label itself.So,more than likely(as has happened before),the client will not hear the difference.For better insight,understand that this client was referred to me by another client with the same indie label that basically markets to newbies who want to think they have a 'record label' behind them. They want tracks,but they basically want to do whatever they want with what I give them. They prohibit rides.(Oh well,I multed in couple places just to make it obvious what my intent was,but I didn't ride anything.)Ambiguously crediting myself?Sounds good. Unless I keep getting exposure to more clients from doing this.(sigh)Thanks for your professional ears,y'all.
Studiostrat
PS-I've actually seen this happen on a national level,btw(not with me,with others.)