Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2018, 11:48 AM
Avid

Default S6 Videos

Greetings,

We are very close to starting a new shoot on a series of S6 Workflow and Feature videos. I already have quite a few workflows documented to explore which I believe will be beneficial to most users. I did want to take a quick poll to the group however to see what topics for operation would be helpful to cover. In no particular order:

On Attention Zones, Automation, Monitoring, Dolby Atmos, Spill Zones, Multi-Workstation Workflows (including KVM), Expand Faders, Layouts and Aggregate Layouts, Master Meter Module and Layouts, MPM...

thanks,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 04-20-2018, 05:08 PM

Default Re: S6 Videos

Definitely Dolby Atmos workflows. Assigning meter layouts. Mapping custom plugin layouts on expansion knobs and faders.

There is one thing that is really bugging me about the S6. When focusing or attentionimg a channel on the console you can call up the GUI of a plugin by pressing the appropriate button ie EQ, DYN, etc. if you attention another track, the plugin window GUI does not change to the next selected track. It stays on the previous selected track. With the DCommand or DControl the window would change based on track selected. Is there any way to make this happen with the S6? I might be missing a setting somewhere but I can’t seem to find it. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:29 AM

How about a video on using Snapshots with the S6?

I've tried it a few times, but Snapshots, the S6 and I have never really become friends
Old 04-21-2018, 07:55 AM

It’s really quite simple once you realize that Avid uses the word snapshot in a different sense than other console makers. If you’re used to working with Preview and Capture modes in automation the snapshot works like this.

1. When punching a Preview, Priming parameters or just writing automation in write mode, you can press Capture and all the parameters for the currently primed or writing automation is stored in a temporary memory buffer.
2. Once you hit Capture, move to the Snapshot page on the MTM or Automation Module and select store snapshot and choose a number. You can rename a stored snapshot.
3.once a snapshot has been stored, you can recall it by pressing the snapshot button and hit Punch Capture to write the stored automation information. This can be while transport is stopped or moving.
4. If you want to Capture the entire state of all enabled automation parameter, while the transport is stopped, place the playhead over the area you want to Capture. Show the automation window in the software and hold down the OPTION key on the keyboard while clicking CAPTURE (mac). This might work with the modifier key on the S6 but I haven’t tried it yet. You can then store this as a snapshot.

Snapshots are great for punching in for repeated scenes in film or tv or for sections of a song that are repeated. Huge time saver.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:41 AM
Avid

Greetings,

I definitely agree that this is an area on S6 that needs work - specifically the granularity of displaying UI elements in PT for any specific plug-in, send or Panner. Currently the following User preference determines which section of the surface will trigger opening and swapping of plug-ins on attention. We are currently discussing additional workflows including dedicated controls within an expand zone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yg43jwow7w..._Pref.png?dl=0

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Definitely Dolby Atmos workflows. Assigning meter layouts. Mapping custom plugin layouts on expansion knobs and faders.

There is one thing that is really bugging me about the S6. When focusing or attentionimg a channel on the console you can call up the GUI of a plugin by pressing the appropriate button ie EQ, DYN, etc. if you attention another track, the plugin window GUI does not change to the next selected track. It stays on the previous selected track. With the DCommand or DControl the window would change based on track selected. Is there any way to make this happen with the S6? I might be missing a setting somewhere but I can’t seem to find it. Thanks.
MTRX FAQ
Old 04-22-2018, 09:04 AM

Thanks Jeff.

It would be great to get some of that functionality from the D-Command,Control back into the S6. For instance, the CONTROL+PAN, functionality to call up any specific window for any channel and so forth. Thus reducing the number of button presses one has to do show such a window on the S6.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:33 AM
Avid

Yes, agree 100%. Any specific plug-in windows should be easily addressable and Pro Tools should track the windows for the attentioned track be they plug-ins, panners or other. Previous workflows (ICON) for clicking on a plug-in UI for example in Pro Tools should also attention the track where they live.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 04-24-2018, 12:43 PM

[QUOTE=creativecontrol;2486075]Yes, agree 100%. Any specific plug-in windows should be easily addressable and Pro Tools should track the windows for the attentioned track be they plug-ins, panners or other. Previous workflows (ICON) for clicking on a plug-in UI for example in Pro Tools should also attention the track where they live.
best,
Jeff[/QUOTE

Great! Does this mean in its in the works?
Old 04-24-2018, 05:12 PM
Avid

Yes, it is currently being discussed among other priorities.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-20-2018, 11:57 AM
Avid

The first batch of S6 Videos has been shot and is currently in production.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ