Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 09-15-2007, 10:13 AM

Default LIMTING PROBLEMS

Hi, Im new to Pro Tools, just switched over from Logic and I'm having big problems keeping my tracks under 0.0. In Logic the stock limter I used actually kept the signal from going over 0.0db, and I could adjust all the setting and the signal would stay under 0.0. I've tried everything within the Maxim limter and can't seem to keep the signal from peaking. Maybe its my inexperience with protools but I dont understand why this is so complicated, when it was so simple in Logic. Somone please help, this is really messing with my workflow and MY SOUND.

Thanks much.

holla!
Old 09-15-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: LIMTING PROBLEMS

I had the same thing happen with Maxim..one thing that worked okay was to put TWO of them on the Master Fader. Then each one doesn't have to work as hard and it's better at stopping peaks. But, the best thing I ever did was to get the Final Plug from Wave Arts (www.wavearts.com).(Haven't used Maxim since.) This will NOT let anything go past -0- and it's very transparent. In most cases, the "CD Mastering" preset works just fine, but everything can be tweaked. I think it's $149 by itself, or you can get the whole Powersuite 5 and get a real killer reverb, eq, etc. Also, you can demo it for free for 30 days, but if you try it, be prepared to buy it. You'll like it that much.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:06 AM

Maxim:
Set the Ceiling to -0.1 dB.
Leave Mix at 100 % and the link button on.
Now adjust the level using the Threshold fader.

The output will not clip, but the sound degrades quickly when the "Atten" bar starts to work.

A much better mastering limiter is the Massey L2007. I use it everytime.
89 USD to buy it, and there's a free version too if you want to try it first.
http://www.masseyplugins.com/index_v2.html?page=l2007
Old 09-16-2007, 06:55 AM

Hey thanks alot for the responses. I'm going to check out both demos for the 2 mastering plugins. Much appreciated. I wish Pro Tools came with a nice set of plugins like LOGIC. Its pain but I guess thats the reality of Pro Tools

Thanks again.

-knetic
Old 09-16-2007, 06:41 PM

Keep this in mind-most mastering limiters will have lots of latency(because they "look ahead" and grab transients before they clip). Some other compressors have little or no latency(BF76 is one of my favs). As long as you record at 24 bits(highly recommended), you do not need to hit the input meters much more than halfway to still have good signal to noise ratio AND good headroom. Also, remember that a plugin limiter on a track that is being recorded, is NOT stopping clipped recordings as plugins act on the audio streaming off the hard drive and not the incoming audio.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-17-2007, 11:59 AM

The other thing to consider is that your overall mix is way too high. Maybe you need a bit more headroom in your mix, and then you can use the Limiter to bring the mix up to CD level. Just a thought.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:56 PM

I have the same problem and usually get around it by inserting a 15:1 compressor before the limiter and having it grab all of the quick transients before it has the chance to break through Maxim.

Why is Maxim so bad? According to the manual it "looks ahead" and "you can set it, leave the room, and come back knowing what your db ceiling is..."

riiight.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:59 PM

[QUOTE]

Why is Maxim so bad? According to the manual it "looks ahead" and "you can set it, leave the room, and come back knowing what your db ceiling is..."

I won't say it's "BAD" but it sure doesn't stop thoe peaks as well as the Wavearts Finalplug. When set to do so you really hear it working on the signal. Again, FinalPlug is MUCH more transparent.
Just my own humble opinion, having tried both and settled on the one that does the best job for me...