How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 12:55 PM

Default multi track sequencer recording

Hello,

I'm trying to record my programmed beats from an E-MU PX-7 multi track sequencer onto pro tools 7. What I would like to do is keep the tracks separate while recording (i.e. having bass drum on 1, snare on 2, synth sample on another, etc.) instead of recording the whole sequence onto 1 mono instrument track on pro tools. Do I need to record midi in order to do this? I want to be able to edit the beats further after they are recorded, so what's the simplest way to have each sound of the sequence recorded on different tracks on pro tools?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pete
Old 01-26-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Re: multi track sequencer recording

Route your midi cables to and from your drum machine. Create an instrument track (or midi/aux input combos) in PT 7 for each sequencer track on the drum machine. Assign each track to a different midi channel (in PT's and your synth), enable your synth's internal sequencer to chase, enable record on instrument/midi tracks, press record/play. Edit midi data.
Create audio tracks to record your synth's output or aux inputs to mix in PT's.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: multi track sequencer recording

Thanks for the response, though I'm still having trouble. I created an instrument track for each track of the sequencer, and assigned each track input in pro tools it's own midi channel. I have the correct midi channel assignments and can record each track independently. The problem I'm having is this:

-- The sound is different once recorded (The sequencer sounds the same coming through the audio tracks when I click record, but if I click record on a track meter for one of the instrument tracks the sound changes to more "midi" sounding). I have a midi cable coming out of the mbox2 back into my sequencer (in), and this is changing the original sound. I can unplug this cable, and the sound goes back to normal, but then I can't hear any editing changes I make via midi.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong with the midi output selector for each instrument track, but I've tried everything--please help!! I can only choose the output to be the midi channels I have set up for my sequencer--but I don't want any output back into my sequencer. I want to be able to do midi editing on each track.
Any suggestions? Thanks.