Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-01-2011, 07:16 AM

Default Please Weigh In: To Bass Manage or Not To Bass Manage, that is the question.

I'd like to ask the group's opinion on the following question.

When mixing a product that is going directly to DVD for distribution and sale to the general public and presumably being played back on Home Theater Systems, should the mixer use a Bass Managed monitoring environment or not?

Yes or no is fine, some elaboration on your answers would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Please Weigh In: To Bass Manage or Not To Bass Manage, that is the question.

No.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Please Weigh In: To Bass Manage or Not To Bass Manage, that is the question.

Why not? The majority of surround systems consumers are buying have not much more than 4" or 5" woofers, totally relying on BM in the sub-woofer.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:46 AM

Speaker/Monitor needs.
VS.
Software Authoring needs.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:05 AM

I don't "mix" with bass management but I do check the mix either with the bass manager plugin (I have Waves Surround) or by playing the mix in my home theater once it is burnt to the test QC dvd.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:24 PM

How can you mix for the wildly inappropriate levels that most consumers run their subs at? Monitor roulette if you ask me.
Stick to your known calibrated levels on your good monitors, and listen to the fold down through a tv or auragrones
Much more important to check your metadata and how the receiver will fold down your 5.1 to 2.x if no LtRt or stereo mix is being provided.

Have fun

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 08-02-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
How can you mix for the wildly inappropriate levels that most consumers run their subs at? Monitor roulette if you ask me.
Stick to your known calibrated levels on your good monitors, and listen to the fold down through a tv or auragrones
Much more important to check your metadata and how the receiver will fold down your 5.1 to 2.x if no LtRt or stereo mix is being provided.

Have fun
Well said. Its like mixing through a TV. There are so many different TV sets and speakers, how can you mix to accommodate all of them?
You can't.

Have a TV to have a listen through to check is one thing, but even now I'm seeing that less and less.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Have fun
Well said Mike!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:

Have fun
We do all of the above, including a set of 1978 Auratones. I probably should've mentioned that the Genelec systems we use DO have a BM bypass function. We have a foot-switch close to the mixer to kick it in or out. Dolby E metadata is all good as I've verified on my home system after conversion to AC3.

Thanks for the tips, guys.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:47 AM

If you bypass BM on the Genelecs, how do you cal the sub ? Or do you ignore it completely?