Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 06-14-2016, 02:27 PM

Default DPI scaling bug when using AIR plug-ins

Well, I downloaded and tested 12.5.1 as soon as it appeared. Having waited since 31 March for this update I found the same old DPI scaling bug is still present in 12.5.1. Screen shrinks to quarter of size for all projects having AIR plugins on my 4k display with 200% DPI scaling, making it virtually impossible to see what I'm doing. Submitted support case (again). Back to 10.3.10, which still works OK... Let's wait and see what 12.5.2 brings.

Last edited by jeffro; 06-15-2016 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Moved to new thread to raise visibility.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12.5.1 Update Now Appearing In Avid Accounts

All included AIR plugins and instruments (e.g. Mini Grand, Xpand2, Boom, ...) remain unusable for those of us on 4K displays at 3840 x 2160 with DPI scaling.

So does the AIR Instrument Expansion Pack (Hybrid 2, Strike, Transfuser, Structure, ...).

According to AIR, this is an Avid issue: http://community.airmusictech.com/ai...esktop-scaling -- see latest posts.

Come on Avid, please fix this!
Old 06-14-2016, 07:03 PM

Thanks for posting this.

As the year-old Thread in your link (on the AIR Music Tech Community Forum) ends with: “Funny thing I go and try it again just to see if anything had changed, and everything is fixed!” – I’ve just raised this issue again on the AIR VI BETA FORUM (where issues with AIR Instruments and Plug-Ins are raised).

I will post back here, if & when I hear any more info.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:54 AM

What Video Card and driver version?
Brand of 4K Display (Firmware checked?)
HDMI cable 4K capable?

Your details posted could help.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:11 AM

My specs are:

NVIDIA Quadro K600, driver 362.13
ASUS PB287Q 4K Display via Display Port @ 3840 x 2160, firmware N/A
Windows 10 Pro 64
Old 06-16-2016, 11:31 AM

Default Re: DPI scaling bug when using AIR plug-ins

Been having the same issues with my ASUS N501JW Laptop. It has a 4K display built in and even with scaling at 300% its almost unusable.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:55 AM

Try going into the Pro Tools properties and disable display scaling at High Resolution.

Right click on the Pro Tools icon
Properties
Compatibility
Click -> Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

This is on Windows 7 x64, I'm sure it's similar on Win 10.

I find this makes Pro Tools appear much better and may solve your issue.

Mark
Old 06-16-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biasrocks View Post
Try going into the Pro Tools properties and disable display scaling at High Resolution.

Right click on the Pro Tools icon
Properties
Compatibility
Click -> Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

This is on Windows 7 x64, I'm sure it's similar on Win 10.

I find this makes Pro Tools appear much better and may solve your issue.

Mark
Thanks, Mark, but this is not the solution.

I am running 3840 x 2160 with 200% scaling within Windows.

Disable display scaling on high DPI settings prevents Pro Tools from scaling. It "solves" the problem by making the unscaled Pro Tools interface just as tiny as the AIR plugin interfaces.

With Disable display scaling on high DPI settings unchecked, as I an running it, Pro Tools scales correctly and all plugins I have (e.g. Waves, UAD, Soundtoys, FabFilter, Sonnox, Native Instruments, Toontrack, etc.) scale correctly within Pro Tools. To my aging eyes, Pro Tools looks great at these settings.

The non-AIR Avid plugins that come included with Pro Tools such as EQ3, Dyn3, D-Verb, and Channel Strip also scale correctly.

It is only the AIR plugins that come with Pro Tools such as AIR Flanger, Mini Grand, Xpand2, and Boom that have this issue. Any additional (not included with Pro Tools) AIR plugins such as Hybrid, Transfuser, Velvet, and Strike also suffer from this issue. They take the entire Pro Tools interface with them -- the whole thing becomes unscaled, not just the plugin GUI. Quitting and restarting is the only fix.

The thread I linked to above indicates that this once affected other hosts and not just Pro Tools. If the official responses from AIR in that thread are accurate, the issue has since been addressed on AIR's end but there is still something that Avid needs to address as well.

My solution has been to move all AIR plugins to the unused plugins folder and replace their instances with plugins from other companies. Not really satisfactory since the included plugins are part of the product that we paid for with Pro Tools initially and again with $599 (HD) for the current year's support.

Last edited by DAWgEAR; 06-16-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
It is only the AIR plugins that come with Pro Tools such as AIR Flanger, Mini Grand, Xpand2, and Boom that have this issue. Any additional (not included with Pro Tools) AIR plugins such as Hybrid, Transfuser, Velvet, and Strike also suffer from this issue.

Good news: a fix is currently being worked on.

I got this info from the AIR VI BETA FORUM:

"We are working on modernized GUI implementations with full HiDPI support, but this also requires all the artwork to be rerendered in higher resolutions which is a major undertaking."
Old 06-17-2016, 10:38 AM

Default Re: DPI scaling bug when using AIR plug-ins

Thanks for the update, unkJE!

Hope this does not take too long.