Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-25-2019, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 2019 !

Wasn’t the original point of the voice count limit because the actual voices were hard coded by the hardware cards that Avid/Digidesign used? And thus they wanted to limit the vanilla/native/LE users so that the HD and TDM users were getting something extra for their much higher investment?

Makes me wonder how they were able to automatically increase the voice count for the HDX cards? Was it from resources that were freed up from the reworking of the audio engine?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 01-25-2019, 02:57 PM

Another extra from twitter. I must say, I don't understand him
Old 01-25-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Wasn’t the original point of the voice count limit because the actual voices were hard coded by the hardware cards that Avid/Digidesign used? And thus they wanted to limit the vanilla/native/LE users so that the HD and TDM users were getting something extra for their much higher investment?

Makes me wonder how they were able to automatically increase the voice count for the HDX cards? Was it from resources that were freed up from the reworking of the audio engine?
That was exactly the reason for the limitation. And just when they realized that nobody would buy more cards just for voices, they found that piece of code that would allow to squeeze more out of the DSPs. It's magic!
Old 01-25-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhardy View Post
Mojave approved ?

We are still beta testing it.

And by "we", I mean normal Avid customers.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:41 PM

Wow. What a Bash.
Plenty of alternate choices yet Pro Tools gets the Big Bash. You broke my heart so _ You!

Use what you want to use and get over it. At the very least we have some choices.

I try these other apps people compare but never stay. all but Notion Music still beats Sibelius.

Now Pro Tools...It's almost February so 2019 should be out by the end of month.
HDX, Well Firmware is likely for the track count.

To Blame Avid for Apple & HP issues and limitation is just waisting your typing.

Be constructive and encouraging. Software writers also need a vibe and flow for their work.

Although Management and $ cash issue has given strength to the app payroll, we embrace there may be an "It all evens out" moment and I for one would like to embrace that.

75 post in front of me but only OP #1 communicated a heads-up in positive note!

This thread even got my old ass up to type this in.

NOW. back to my song.
T

Last edited by DetroitT; 01-25-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-25-2019, 04:03 PM

Its the same like Apple... Hey Apple don´t care about "Pro" Users...The first thing being said is; Hey go to Windows, if you dont like Apple s way...
And now its the same with avid... Now there are people, who say if you don´t like this microtransactions in a 2499 Dollar Software with 400 Dollar anual fee.. Go away, use another DAW...This is a typical argumentation for people,who don´t understand, that people like Protools, work with PTU, want PTU to be a great DAW, which is better than the competitors...

But what Avid is doing now to destroy every reputation, they had, with such stupid Microtransactions... Tracks for rental... Tracks, you can buy.. Avid does nothing for us customers, who are paying year over year over year...
No, instead of bringing Protools Ultimate to a new level, they want more money and more and more... Everybody, who defend this, don t see the reality... Avid is testing out the possibilities to get money...And if this voice pack nonsense works, they will go to the next step... like EA, like Activision, like every game company out there, who only wants money with NO EFFORT... I say no effort... Cause in the native world, there are no track limitations... Every other DAW shows that... Only Avid wants us to pay for tracks in the native world to get money for nothing, only providing something, which is normal in the native world...People, who defend this; For them, its no problem, if Avid pushes the next step, like paying to use third pary plugins or paying to get more plugin slots and so on...I don t understand, why people are thinking, that this a good progress...sry
Old 01-25-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
Please! take off your MOD hat for a minute and let's be real here.
Alright then, no mod hat here now. As a DSP user I'd say it's about time DSP users get something extra that others have to pay extra or cannot have at all.

Good enough?

If you want to be limited by hardware, then by all means buy that Avid hardware (HDN or HDX) and be done with it. If you cannot see why Avid places restrictions for 3rd party hardware users, it isn't my fault.

Now mod hat on again. Please keep this thread polite even if you don't agree with Avid's policies.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:01 PM

Default Pro tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Alright then, no mod hat here now. As a DSP user I'd say it's about time DSP users get something extra that others have to pay extra or cannot have at all.

Good enough?

Not even close. DSP chips have their place for recording. In terms of all other processing they are basically obsolete nowadays.
What you're asking for is playing stupid games and nothing else.
If you shelled out the money for HDX and CPU capabilities caught up - too bad. Artificially crippling software in an attempt to generate more income while not even being able to make PT run on an OS that has been out for half a year - plus not implementing features that the community has been asking for for ages, but instead coming up with crap like Avid Link...
And you're lecturing people that all of this is actually great and we shouldn't get mad at this display of incompetence or whatever this is supposed to be called. Seriously, wtf?

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 01-25-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Good enough?

If you want to be limited by hardware, then by all means buy that Avid hardware (HDN or HDX) and be done with it. If you cannot see why Avid places restrictions for 3rd party hardware users, it isn't my fault.

Now mod hat on again. Please keep this thread polite even if you don't agree with Avid's policies.
Dude you really need to get out once and awhile and get your nose out of the DUC. Even if I was still an HD/Ultimate owner I would still wish they would have invested there time into something other than more voices. It's hard to believe that you think they are giving you something and on the contrary it is HD/Ultimate that is limited by Avid not the third party native hardware. Let's face it, you know Avid is dragging the behind compared to other DAW software. Don't get me wrong, I like Pro Tools but I am disappointed and rightly so if this is all they have been working on. It's hard to believe that this meets your expectation! It sure doesn't meet mine and I don't see anything wrong with voicing my opinion about it and I think I'm doing it in a civil way. I'm just giving you straight talk! You really can't be serious, right? Come-on your joking right? Stop Playing Man! I sure hope there is more than this coming in this next update.

Last edited by zion; 01-25-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Good enough?

It really is just a conciliatory “Here’s some more voices, can we please keep a skerrick of our reputation” gesture from Avid though. I’m a DSP user, and it doesn’t make me feel good about Avid at all. Imagine if you were one of those poor saps that paid for a HDX2 system simply to access more than 256 voices in Pro Tools? Now you may not even need Avid hardware to do it!?! It’s a totally manufactured pretence. Thrown out the window by Avid for nothing more than some fleeting brownie points.

This “upgrade” is patronising. It’s like when you threaten to leave a bank because they treat you like rubbish, and then they try and get you to stay by waiving all those extra fees they have been charging you for years... as though the fees which cost you a bomb meant absolutely nothing to the bank in the first place.

It means nothing to be an existing customer with Avid. Nothing. This hasn’t been done in good faith. It’s a way to gouge users of more money, and it is done in a way that undermines their DSP systems to an even greater degree. Avid like doing that. This will keep going on and on until Avid run out of old features to exchange for any morsel of gratitude to fill their nearly empty reputation bucket.

Avid. They may sell a DAW, but make no mistake... they are the bottom feeders of the DAW industry whose primary software influences begin and end at a spreadsheet.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.