How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-12-2009, 08:11 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie169 View Post
Is there a thread or instructions somewhere that explain XP tweaks and changes?
As far as XP tweaks go, the optimizations in the Getting Started Guide are plenty. I don't do much else than those ones these days. I do run the XP desktop and taskbar in classic mode though. That's just a personal aesthetic choice because I'm not a fan of the Fisher Price toy native look of XP. You'll see no gains in PT from it.

Digi qualified XP optimizations.

I question the DEP fix in the above. I dont do that myself but then again, they do state it's not necessary.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-12-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdorworth View Post
Hi Guitardom,

I just installed PT8 LE on my virgin system with the 003 rack+. Seems to be stable. Now I am trying to figure out if I have a 003 Rack+ problem. I plugged balanced stereo output from my Famtom keyboard in to inputs 1 & 2. Line select is 1, Top line button is selected. Created a blank session with stereo 1 & 2 in. Recorded a piano track vu meter only display on the R track no L, no stereo?? Is this operator trouble or what?

Regards,
Gordon
This really belongs in the GENERAL section and not in this thread that is all about the i7 systems.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 PM

Thanks,

Looks like you need to build an i7!!

Regards,
Gordon
Old 03-12-2009, 09:58 PM

Amen brother. Parts will be ordered this week. Shoot me an email and I'll be happy to try to help your keyboard troubles.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
As far as XP tweaks go, the optimizations in the Getting Started Guide are plenty. I don't do much else than those ones these days. I do run the XP desktop and taskbar in classic mode though. That's just a personal aesthetic choice because I'm not a fan of the Fisher Price toy native look of XP. You'll see no gains in PT from it.

Shane
I'm with you except for the Classic mode thing. You are so old school I still swear Win 98SE sounded way better........

Kris
May the music move you
Old 03-13-2009, 08:23 AM

Are you guys running the 'Intel Application Accelerator' indicated in the XP troubleshooting guide on your i7's?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:11 PM

So, I've been lurking around for a while waiting for €€'s to come in to order my own i7..!

I've finally got it up & running and all works pretty smooth now. Let me first post my config and then ask you some questions..

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R (thank you guitardom!)
Intel i7 920
OCZ Triple Channel 6Gb (3x2kit) 1600mHz
Seagate Barracude 1Tb HD (3 partitions)
Asus HD4350 512MB DDR2 graphics card
Pt LE 8.0 w/ Mbox 2

I'm now running on Win Vista 64bit which immediately brings me to my first question..
Should I go back to Win XP pro 32 bit for increased performance? I haven't read that much yet about vista 64bit... It all runs okay but I still have some stabillity issues as well as performance issues, which I will clarify, of which I think it might OS related or maybe hardware related...

Concerning stabillity I've noticed that sometimes (seems random) my system hangs and comes to a halt. It doesn't respond and I have to reset. This doesn't happen to often and it seems it has been solved after installing all possible updates (chipset, vga, bios, etc). It might have to do with my power supply which is quite minimal in the end (Zalman 480W PSU)

Performance wise I mainly have problems with Structure (free), are there big differences (performance wise) between Structure Free, LE and Complete? Or are all differences more option related?

Also I've now disabled all energy saving features as well as hyper- or multithreading and intel's energy boost because Pro Tools wouldn't play audio with them enabled!! Any ideas regarding that?

I hope notto have to go bakc to win XP (32bit) since than I wouldn't have the advantage of the 6Gb of internal memory, but if it would be much better performance wise I would install it...

Any help greatly appreciated..!

Thank you all so far for helping me on a lot of earlier questions by just posting all your info..!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Amen brother. Parts will be ordered this week. Shoot me an email and I'll be happy to try to help your keyboard troubles.
Hi Albee1952,

Sorry for asking stupid questions, but it was late and I have enough wires in this studio to kill a couple brain cells. I have a Mackie 24x8 studio out wired into the 003+ via the 1&2 mic inputs. Which solves my immediate stereo problems. The documentation sucks for 003+ users and one would think that you can simply plug in a keyboard to line/di inputs and select on the front panel simultaneously 1 & 2 and presto have a stereo keyboard input. You can only select 1 line/di button at a time just to confuse muscians like me. Just trying to understand what flexibility and options I have. Glad to hear you got gear on order. You are going to love it!! Thanks to sunburst & guitardom I am up & running solid under XP although the caveman interface (PT vista was sweet) doesn't float my boat. I really don't care as long as it solid.

Regards,
Gordon
Old 03-13-2009, 05:42 PM

Hey Gordon, I was just trying to keep the i7 thread about i7 setups. In any case, since you're here, you need to kind of rethink your setup for a few reasons. First off, do you really need the Mackie or is it there because you haven't figured out how to get by without it? The 003+ should have no problems with the direct inputs from any keyboard by selecting the proper inputs with the front panel buttons(sorry I can't be more exact as I don't have that unit). I run a Motif es8 into inputs 1&2 on my 003 controller so I'm sure it works(somehow). On the other hand, if you do want the Mackie in there, it needs to be patched into line inputs and NOT the XLR mic inputs. Those inputs are designed for mic level signal(really low level) while the Mackie is designed to output +4 line level(which is way too hot for the XLR inputs. The proper cables for the Mackie would be TRS on one end(into the 003+) and XLR-female on the other end(from the Mackie outputs). If the manual for the 003+ doesn't explain the input settings good enough, maybe another user that has one can get you headed in the right direction(all I know so far is that it appears the 003+ input settings revert to some default setting every time it is shut down). Hope you get it sorted out.

BTW, if the 003+ defaults to mic inputs, maybe a cheap direct box(or 2) so the keyboard is patched thru the DI into mic inputs could be a way to save some headaches.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:26 PM

Another copy cat here!!! Hey guitardom, just built the same system. Could you share some of your bios tweaks? Im running on the stock i7 fan so whatever you can suggest that wont be getting too hot would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!