Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-24-2006, 06:14 PM

Default Did I miss something? 7.2 Install hoses drive

I just did an install of 7.2. At restart the GSD (gray screen of death) appeared. Restarted, same thing again. Complete hardware reset, no help. Booted to a different system drive, repaired Permissions and some small error on the suspect drive. Same issues. Is this a coincidence or did I neglect to do something critical before installing PT 7.2?

I noticed an uninstaller in the dmg, is an uninstall required before installation of PT 7.2? Also, I installed the documentation package before installing the update... is this forbidden?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2006, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Did I miss something? 7.2 Install hoses drive

Quote:
Is this a coincidence or did I neglect to do something critical before installing PT 7.2?
Could be either. I would have repaired disk permissions prior to installing. If your system is still acting this way, try booting in single user mode (Apple+S at startup). A bunch of text will scroll by. Whatever the last text is before the command prompt (if there is one) might help determine what happened and if it can be fixed.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I just did an install of 7.2. At restart the GSD (gray screen of death) appeared. Restarted, same thing again. Complete hardware reset, no help. Booted to a different system drive, repaired Permissions and some small error on the suspect drive. Same issues. Is this a coincidence or did I neglect to do something critical before installing PT 7.2?

I noticed an uninstaller in the dmg, is an uninstall required before installation of PT 7.2? Also, I installed the documentation package before installing the update... is this forbidden?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
I had the same problem, this is something Digidesign didn't tell anyone about! Just like Digi to put something flawed out! I had to trash my plugin Dir and move the PT 7.1 app to the desktop then everything installed correctly. I t would be nice if digi communicated with us more on their way to the bank.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:15 PM

Could be possible that they don't know about the problem... Hopefully you submitted a trouble ticket. It's certainly in their best interest to maintain a good reputation about the quality of update releases if they expect people to buy the updates.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:18 AM

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your problem, but i can confirm 100's of users have updated to 7.2 with no problems!

Its always a good practise to clone your system drive before installing any updates! this way you'll always have a working system if things go wrong!! go get carbon copy cloner..

It's possible that your download is corrupted? so download the update again before trying to install a second time.

This is probably a good time to do a fresh install of Tiger! especially if you are having problems when booting up.

Is your system drive definately in good shape and is there plenty of free space on it?

The troubleshooting thread gives exact details for installing and the best way to set the mac for PT

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:05 AM

I just did 18 rigs w/o a hitch from ProTools
a pissy 10.4 upgrade on one rig but no other problems

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-25-2006, 09:10 AM

Thanks to everyone for your replies. We do keep a CCC'd disk of our OS and critical software installs so this was not the catastrophe it could have been for someone else. Maybe this was just bad luck. I have done many, many system installs, upgrades etc etc of Digi's products over the years and never had a problem like this. My message was mostly wondering if this was something others had experienced of if I neglected some required read prior to the upgrade install.

I just finished making a new CCC copy of our backup onto the original drive that failed. I will be doing the upgrade again in a few minutes. I expect it will go without incident. If not, I'll be back.

Thanks again,
Old 09-02-2006, 03:09 PM

I think I have just had something similar happen. However, I have happily run 7.2 for a few days before the GSD took over. I only two days ago installed SignalTools and Time Shifter. Then did an honest day's work with 7.2 and Reason yesterday. But today, anything PT related causes GSD - PT, Core Audio Manager and DigiTest all cause near-instant GSD. Tried all the usual troubleshooting, even clean uninstall and back to 7.1 but I think that's it for the drive, so I'm currently restoring from a CCC backup of a week ago or so...
PT2023.12 - Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB RAM - macOS 13.6.3 - UAD-2 Satellite Octo/Apollo 8tb Duo/Apollo 16ii/Prism Lyra 2 - Euphonix Artist Control - All the plugins(!) Waves/PA/Slate/SSL/McDSP/UAD/Kush/SoundToys/Eventide/Softube/NI/PSP/Sonible/BABY/Fabfilter/Sonnox etc.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:09 PM

Chris is right,

I have checked with several people here at Digidesign and the word is that you probably ought to de-install the older version, but you can still install 7.2 without doing so, and they DO stipulate in the "read me files" that IF you need to de install an older version of PT before installing the new version (kind of confusing because there's no explanation why in the documents) that you should run that the de install application. i am still on the fence. BUT, like Chris aptly put, you really should CLONE your system drive first.

You can take an external firewire drive, partition it, and install "Shirt Pocket's" "Super Duper", a $30 application which will clone the system drive, and run Pro Tools or anything else that was on your system drive by using the clone as a startup drive. It also will do smart backups so at the end of each day, I just run it, and it repairs my disk permissions and copies only the new data that was put on the system drive. It takes about 15 minutes max, but you can even schedule it to do so in the middle of the night or something like that if you leave your system on. I don't so I just do it after the end of the day.

I am going to install 7.2 today, and I did a test by starting up from my cloned firewire drive, and I then ran a big pro tools session. So, I am probably going to try and install PT 7.2 without taking off my old version since it appears that most of the people out there are not needing to take off the old version, but that's going to be my backup plan.