How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2001, 11:24 AM

Default Removing Reflections-drying off a wet mix

Hi-
A client just brought in a poorly recorded concert on mini DV, and wants me to clean it up
The audio is a live mix in the middle of a large Las Vegas Showroom, so it is totally wet and reverberated.

I tried rolling off some of the high end, and running the whole mix through TC Master X, and that does crisp it up a bit, but it is still pretty bad. Plus, rolling off the high end makes the mix a little muddyer. I told him that it is pretty much unsalvageable, but i figured i would check and see if anyone has any other ideas.

thanks,
j
Old 11-20-2001, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Removing Reflections-drying off a wet mix

Maybe try some expansion? Multiband expansion like C4? Haven't tried it myself, I was just guessing. I'd imagine it could reduce some of the reverb decay.
Old 11-21-2001, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Removing Reflections-drying off a wet mix

That's a good idea. I really love the C4. I just started using a few weeks ago, and it sounds great. Now I want to use it on everything.
As far as deveberating, I ended up putting the mix through the ultramaximizer, and that seemed to push the source sound forward a bit. But overall, there wasn't much of a difference. The recording was just too damn wet.
Thanks anyhow-
j