Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-01-2017, 10:56 AM

Default PTHD with Dante

My trusty Yamaha DM2000 still holds up well. It's one of my favorite digital mixers of all time. Yamaha sells Dante cards that offer 16 IN/16 OUT per card, up to 4 cards in a single DM2000. It would be nice eliminating the need for extra sound cards, cables, patch panels, etc..

Has anyone worked with Dante interfaces in PTHD, Yamaha or otherwise? It almost sounds too good to be true - drop in a couple Dante cards in the DM2000 and I'll have 32 IN/32 OUT. Considering Dante uses Ethernet I'm wondering what others have experienced in terms of stability in PTHD?

Thanks!
Mark
Old 01-01-2017, 12:00 PM

Default Re: PTHD with Dante

The facility I currently work in has an extensive Dante infrustructure supporting four separate audio mix rooms/studios each with either a Pro Tools HD Native or HDX system. Our audio mix rooms / audio recording studio are all based around API analog consoles but our video studio has a DM2000 as part of a multitrack recording and live (record / webcast) mix system.

We use Focusrite Rednet Dante/Pro Tools HD bridges (what Focusrite calls "red net" is actually Dante) in all of our rooms/studios.

When we installed the record system in our video studio we initially had problems with the DM2000 not powering up properly with five Dante MY cards installed, but after Yamaha confirmed our issue they released a firmware update for the console to allow for five Dante MY cards to be installed (before the firmware update, the cards wouldn't properly reporting their current draw to the console).

When running at 96k, the cards are half capacity so that's 8 channels of audio per card. 5 x 8 = 40 channels into the DM2000 for a live record / webcast mix.

We're running 72 channels worth of converters / pres in our video studio, using Dante controller we choose which 64 of those we want to route into Pro Tools (Pro Tools HD Native system limited to 64 i/o) so we can multi track up to 64 channels of 96k audio, and then use each pro tools channel output bussing assignment to route up to 40 channels of audio into the DM2000 for the live mix. When we need 48 channels of audio in the live mix, we have a kludgy work around involving an old apogee converter and an analog input card in the 6th MY slot of the DM2000... I won't get into that now because it truly is a kludge...

The DM2000 track arming and transport controls work just fine over USB with pro tools.

Feel free to ask any questions, even though the system was spec'd before I was hired I am the one who set up/configured this system so I know it pretty much inside and out.

Before you start configuring anything make sure that your console and all Dante cards are up to date with the most recent firmware.

Goodluck,

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
My trusty Yamaha DM2000 still holds up well. It's one of my favorite digital mixers of all time. Yamaha sells Dante cards that offer 16 IN/16 OUT per card, up to 4 cards in a single DM2000. It would be nice eliminating the need for extra sound cards, cables, patch panels, etc..

Has anyone worked with Dante interfaces in PTHD, Yamaha or otherwise? It almost sounds too good to be true - drop in a couple Dante cards in the DM2000 and I'll have 32 IN/32 OUT. Considering Dante uses Ethernet I'm wondering what others have experienced in terms of stability in PTHD?

Thanks!
Mark
Old 01-01-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post

Thanks!
Mark
Just upgraded my whole studio to Dante. I use the Rednet PCIe along with the DAD AX32. My composing DAW (Cubase and Digital Performer) feeds 64 channels of audio my PT HD rig for stems recording. All systems on the network can share the AD/DA of the DAD. The S6 being on the same network are available to all DAWs. It's a great and extremely flexible set up.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:54 PM

Enjoyed reading the post. Looks like you might be the SME I need to finish my setup.

I have a PC running Win 10, Focusrite REDNET PCIe, PT HD Native PCIe, REDNET 5, Red4Pre, Midas M32 w DANTE, Presonus RM32AI w DANTE. Cannot get routing correct in Dante controller to bring those two 32x32 boxes into PT HD. ProTools sees both the REDNET PCIe Card and HD Native. Have preamps routed to RED boxes in Controller. What is the correct routing for the rest of the subscriptions? I can either select PCIe and get only 32 inputs or HD Native and see my 4 digital 16x16s in my IO setup, but can’t seem to get 64x64 DANTE routed thru PTHD Native Card to PTHD.

Thanks for any info.

MKM
Old 03-11-2018, 07:56 PM

We just upgraded three rooms in our facility by adding the Focusrite Red 4Pre (great price of $1800 for Dante, Thunderbolt, DigiLink connectivity, etc.) as well as an 8-channel pre that floats between our VO studios.

Can't wait until we can get to the point of running iMac Pros and lose ALL of our Avid hardware!!
Old 07-25-2019, 01:34 PM

Default Re: PTHDx with Dante & Cubase10

Hey Guys Confused about dante Virtual soundcard.. I have PT12 hdx & Omni as my main PT rig on a Cheesegrater/Sierra 10.12 with a separate Cheesegrater / Sierra 10.12 ruuning cubase 10 & want to feed stems over Dante ethernet into Protoos to record them & listen through the Omni. Is this not possible ?
Old 07-25-2019, 01:38 PM

No. Not possible. You'd need a converter at the very least
Old 07-25-2019, 03:30 PM

Sorry, but your answer doesn't clarify.... Mac Cubase rig. & 2nd Mac PT Hdx/Omni rig , going through an 01v96 for monitoring.. I used to have an RME Adat card in the cubase mac feeding 16 channels of adat to the Omni PT rig to bus, record, & then monitor through the Yamaha, but lost the card in a fire. So debating getting a new $1000 RME replacement card for cubase output, or trying to send stems through ethernet into Protools HDX. is the Problem you can't use the Hdx Omni for audio output if you're using Dante as input for PT ?. If so, what's the point of Dante if you can't output or monitor the audio in protools ? will a $400 Dante yamaha 01v card solve this ?

Last edited by TommyT; 07-25-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:47 PM

If you are using HDX, all Audio has to go through an HDX interface. An Omni does not accept Dante. Focusrite red series does Dante as does the Avid MTRX and both will integrate with HDX cards.