Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 09:42 PM

Default bizarre fix - issues after 7.3 upgrade - anyone else?

briefly,

after running the 7.3 update protools got to be extremely picky on my solid system - worked through all the usuals w/ digi support (was fine tho same thing) and eliminated it down to spending one day and removing every plug from my DAE and put them in 1 by 1 til i find the culprit, then contact the vendor and harass until they fix whatever issue may be. (and true, i haven't closed shop for an entire day to remove every single plugin and hope that i can find the culprit)

That's the current best bet, er, plust] the "don't let any of your windows extend past the screen edge as we've seen a number of intermittent crashes w/ amd's and we're not sure why and haven't put any notes out on it yet"

culprit for what? lots of spooks. protools loading but no audio playback. weird lockups that are unrepeatable, but make clients unhappy. oh, like right now's "protools ran out of 82 byte tokens.

perhaps i'm missing something

one of the worst - lots of click and pops in my recording. waveform looks like a very short square w/ some slewing at the front.

digi says "that sounds like a clock issue". i reseat my cards. i use my road digilink cables instead. i wire tie the digilink cable up to the back of my rack. still **even recording only 2 channels at 44.1, high playback buffer (longer than you could really use in box w/ a live musician). no plugs** they sound like buffer underruns, *never a problem for me in PT* prior.

basic basic stuff here.

guess what?

on a whim, dealing w/ issues on recording two tracks, i decide to check and uncheck the "rtas engine: ignore errors during playback/record" box. i read all about it in the what's new... but decide to cycle throught the HW buffer sizes w/ this checked and unchecked.

and repeatably true: if i have the box checked, i get **no clicks or pops**. if i uncheck, i get worse clicks and pops as time progresses! buffer size no matter.

it's true too, that' i've had to start bouncing to disk as stereo interleaved so i can do it during
bounce, then reimport and do my final two track work on it, otherwise i'm still getting bad clicks and dropouts, no matter the buffer setting.

perhaps this is pointing to something larger (hm, like ram issue??) but digi tech hasn't been able to help me past this point.

if anyone please has any insight, thanks in advance for sending it my way.

otherwise i'm stuck w/ checking the "ignore errors" box until i spend a day removing all my plugins...

thanks

Tim

**i'll try to get a sandra report up shortly - any reason my tech didn't ask for this?**

win xp sp2
athlon 64 x2 dual 3800
2 x 512 kingston ram
nvidia geForce6600 video card
2x 10,000 rpm sata rec drive
antec case.

02 usb controller
midi i/0
command 8

[email protected]
Old 05-23-2007, 04:22 AM

Default Re: bizarre fix - issues after 7.3 upgrade - anyone else?

Hi 31 hZ,

I noticed you are running a similar setup to me except I am also using a Chasis with HD4 and a X2 4400. Since my upgrade and later CS1 & CS2 upgrades I was having hassles continuiosly. I came very near deciding to shell out a little earlier than I had planned and upgrading to an INTEL DUAL SERVER board etc, but at the last minute I thought I'd try the good old complete Windows and system reinstall on a fresh new Hard drive. I also read about an issue with the CHASSIS and the 7.3.1 CS2 update so I left that update off.

Since my reinstall of everything and ensuring I had all the current version of plug ins, the system has been rock solid for 4 days. All the annoying little glitches etc have gone. So I am hoping the system will see me through till Octoberish when I will do the Dual Quad upgrade.

Just thought I'd share my experience with you.

All the best,

Big D
3 x WD500gig SATA, 1 x WD1T32mb SATA cache Green
NVIDIA Geforce 7300le,
Command 8,HD2,192,Massive Pack 4
Windows 7 64 bit PTHD 9
Old 05-24-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Re: bizarre fix - issues after 7.3 upgrade - anyone else?

wow, thanks so much - i remember seeing your postings quite awhile ago, maybe when i was first sussing my system for the amd hot fix (way back!). anyway, thanks. i was hoping ot avoid a full day of wipe (by the time i get all updates, all NI packs and their plethora of updates on, etc), but honestly no choice.

digi web support just emailed me to do the same thing they have 3 times now:

do plug in test (i'm doing that today - deadlines met)

run digitest (i've done several times as i noted in my support request, but hey, what's one more time)

optimize for windows. (done months ago, but revisted the list a 3rd time now just to be sure...).

willl see what happens w/o the waves plugs, perhaps that's causing all the issues?

will keep things posted...

thanks

31hz

[email protected]