Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2008, 01:02 PM

Default Fast Track Ultra problem

Ok, this is actually the VERY short version of the story to this point. Please bear with me as it is relevant to the end question:

March of this year - Bought a new Dell laptop (Intel 2.4Ghz, 3GB RAM, 7200RPM drive, Windows Vista), ProTools M-Powered 7.4, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra.

Hooked it all up, but when the DSP effects on the FTU were used on a new file set to 88.2, the monitoring effects caused a terrible crackling distortion sound. There were also pops and clicks in the audio despite my following every system optimization tip I could find.

I returned it. Months went by, finally got a replacement. It was DOA. Power light worked, no sound... computers couldn't recognize it. Tried new cables, other computers, nothin... Returned it too. Months went by again. (lots of drama going on in these parts of the story)

Contacted Ray Tantzen at M-Audio who said he would personally test a new unit and have it swapped out. We e-mailed about it, he assured me he sent it, then said maybe he didn't, but he eventually just stopped writing and never followed through on his promise.

Had to get the dealer involved and FINALLY got a replacement, but it also had the same crackling DSP effect problem at 88.2 plus pops and clicks. Some guys in other forums started saying it was my computer, it was Vista, yada yada.

So this week I got a new laptop from ADK Pro Audio (Intel Penryn 2.5Ghz, 4G RAM, 7200 RPM drive, Windows XP - optimized for audio recording). No more pops and clicks, but the same terrible crackling DSP effect problem is there.

Anyone else having this problem??? The DSP monitoring effects were part of my draw to purchasing this unit. The delay times for getting the defective units replaced have caused me to go over my return period for ProTools M-Powered. I really dislike M-Audio now, but I'm somewhat stuck with this setup.

I'm already almost 1/2 a year behind on this project (thanks, M-Audio), so any help or advice would be very welcome.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 AM

guess i should clarify the question... has anyone SUCCESSFULLY used the DSP monitoring effects on the Fast Track Ultra in a session at 88.2?