Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2009, 01:44 PM

Default Re: im trying to get more tracks in protools

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilliam View Post
Ah yes, you're talking VOCAL arrangements. I recently completed an R&B CD for an artist so I do know what you mean. Stacking vocals will definitely use up the audio tracks. Triple-tracking 3 and 4 part harmonies eats them up right quickly. That IS one area where I've used all 32 voices and had to bounce. 48 voices is much better.

However, the OP was using them up with drum loops. Different matter.

im working on an rnb project also and that eats up all the tracks ....okay ive read all the answers and ultimatelty bouncing the tracks is the key to get more tracks RIGHT !! im still a freshman to protools so ill try that ....and any advice on bouncing tracks? before b4 i try it ?
Old 01-17-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminflam81 View Post
im working on an rnb project also and that eats up all the tracks... any advice on bouncing tracks? before b4 i try it ?
I produce R&B as well, and I often mix my background vocals then re-trigger them with a sampler (Structure, Transfuser, Battery, etc) as midi - whatever will allow you to load and trigger audio files.

This not only frees up audio tracks, but it opens up some creative possibilities as well. You can make the audio vocal tracks inactive, and bring them back if you need to tweak them again.

I used to do this back in the day with my Tascam 388 and EPS16+ sampler. I'm still surprised by what I was able to do with those two tools, and proved to be great training for songwriting and production. It forced me to think of the song, as I only had a limited number of tracks to work with. 20 years later, I'm still working like this. Call me "old school"...

Sometimes limiting your toolset can make all the difference in the world.

My 2 cents. Sorry for the diatribe

tg
Old 01-17-2009, 04:11 PM

what on earth did they do when only 24 tracks were available on a tape machine? or even just 8 tracks. that certainly didnt stop good music from being made.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghouse View Post
what on earth did they do when only 24 tracks were available on a tape machine? or even just 8 tracks. that certainly didnt stop good music from being made.
They filled up 23 tracks, submixed it all into track 24, and continued the process along with various other methods like syncing, ping ponging, submixing, flying stuff in from 2-track & archaic samplers etc. Queen comes to mind, among other great classic acts .

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-18-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
I produce R&B as well, and I often mix my background vocals then re-trigger them with a sampler (Structure, Transfuser, Battery, etc) as midi - whatever will allow you to load and trigger audio files.
That's a workaround too. This is the same way you can get audio into Reason.

Given so many workarounds, the digidesign business model amounts to creating artificial annoyances and trying to sell cures for them.

This practice, creating a monopoly, inflicting suffering on its victims, and demanding large sums to remove the suffering, has a name:

Extortion.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris110000100101001 View Post
This business model is based on the air travel industry.
The air travel industry is atoms-based and therefore has non-arbitrary resource limitations that it can divvy up and price accordingly. The software business is bits-based and has no concept of scarcity economics to justify such practices.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
the air travel industry is atoms-based and therefore has non-arbitrary resource limitations that it can divvy up and price accordingly. The software business is bits-based and has no concept of scarcity economics to justify such practices.
offs
Old 01-19-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
That's a workaround too. This is the same way you can get audio into Reason.

Given so many workarounds, the digidesign business model amounts to creating artificial annoyances and trying to sell cures for them.

This practice, creating a monopoly, inflicting suffering on its victims, and demanding large sums to remove the suffering, has a name:

Extortion.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
that's a workaround too. this is the same way you can get audio into reason.

extortion.
amen!!!! Brother amen!!! We are on the same train i agree