Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-12-2008, 10:04 AM

Default Mic And Pre Amp Help

I am trying to setup my little home studio, I am new to this so I am seeking some advice.
Is a Akg C414 a good Studio Mike?
also what about a UA Solo/610 Pre Amp?
Your help is greatly appreciated
Old 05-12-2008, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Mic And Pre Amp Help

Both of those items are fine pieces. The AKG is a staple of many studios. Be aware that there are several new models and several older models. They all sound to some degree different. The UA stuff is also good and the two will complemet each other (the AKG on the whole tends to be a bright microphone, the 610 is a "darker" preamp).

While I'm not suggesting that you don't purchase either, be aware that there are quite a few other combinations in that price range that will do equally well. It's really a matter of personal preference. But you can't really go wrong with the two items you mention.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:21 AM

Thank you, also what about a akg perception 200, does that also make a good match with the solo 610?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:25 AM

stoneinapond is spot on.

It also depends on what you're going to be recording. Building out a mic closet is something my production partner and I just started doing. He spent a lot of time researching the options. Basically, I'd make the following recommendations:

* Find out what you're going to be recording first. Yes, you could get a Peluso 47 clone or something like that, but if you're doing guitars, that may not be the best mic for the job.
* Find a shop that will let you do a shoot out with them. This probably will only happen in the $1k range for mics and you probably won't get more than one chance to do this if you end up not buying anything from them.
* Look for deals - teh Cascade Fat Heads are great low cost ribbon mics. Or you could get a Royer. Will anyone notice? Probably not at the level you're working. remember, some of the best rock vocals ever were recorded on nothing more than an SM 58. What's going into the mic is far more important that what comes after it.

Find the cost/benefit balance that works for you. But do the research. Buy something you're going to use. Get it in and run it through all the paces.

I've used the 610 as a pre for bass (into a distressor) at the studio my band records at (mine isn't up to snuff yet). It's a good sounding pre.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:39 AM

I will doing vocals most of the time
Old 05-12-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I will doing vocals most of the time
Just you or multiple vocalists?

If it's just you, that is a much easier issue to resolve. You find a microphone that complements your voice and you are good to go.

If you have various people coming in, then you must understand one thing. No microphone (even the venerable U87) will work for every voice.

Generally (and I mean generally) the more expensive a microphone, the better it should sound for a greater variety of sources. Boboroshi mentions a Peluso. The low end there is a little more than a 414, but could be a better choice, although difficult to preview.

I am not recommending any particular microphone, but it is something worth looking at. A Neumann TLM 103, although not my favorite microphone may also work. Look at Blue microphones. As I said, there are many too options to go through here.

Spend some time looking around if this is going to be your only purchase for a while. If you are planning on spending more money on a microphone collection in the near future, I guess the right 414 could be a good starting point.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:48 PM

I recently bought the UA Solo/110 (the solid state version) and I was blown away by it. I couldn't find much about them on the net, so it was a bit of a risk on my part. I use if with a Shure KSM44 for vocals and acoustic but pretty much any mic through it sounds great.