Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-12-2008, 09:24 AM

Default which should I purchase?

Hi all,

Finally it seems as though we're in the final stretch for Leopard and PT compatibility. However, I'm not sure which system to purchase. Like everyone in the world I'm on a limited budget, but I was planning on buying the Digi 003 factory rack unit. My dilemma - I dont know what the real differences are between the rack and the factory rack. Is it really worth it to buy the factory unit for a couple extra hundred? I also want to make sure that the MIDI keyboard I get is compatible with the new Leopard/PT system because I want to buy a lot of cool plugins - ethnic instruments, piano/keys, strings, and horns. Can anybody help steer me towards what I should be buying? A little more information about myself that may help...

I play rock music. It's going to mainly be a one man band type situation, but once I get used to using ProTools I plan on recoring full 5-piece rock bands. I plan on using approximately 10 drum mics simultaneously (I'm aware I'll probably need the Behringer ADA8000 or whatever the unit it called for the extra inputs). I want to be able to use the MIDI keyboard to add whatever misc. instruments I want - mellontron, sitar, pianos, cellos, trumpets, etc. Am I looking in the right direction with the Digi 003 rack, or factory rack? I know there's the MBOX and all those other units out there, so I want to make sure I make the right choice. Is the Digi 003 rack or factory rack a good choice? Which is better? If I can answer any questions that would help you in assisting me, I'd be glad to answer them. Thanks in advance for your help.

Also, why does everybody seem to use an external HD for ProTools work? I bought a 500GB Western Digital internal HD that I planned on using exclusively for ProTools and my music files, but it seems like everyone uses an external HD. Why is that, and if I should get one, does anybody have a site for compatible ones that I could browse through (or if anyone could recommend some really good ones).

Also, what is the difference between PCC and Intel?? I've seen this all over for Mac downloads, but I'm not sure which I have and what the differences are.

Im sure I'll have more questions as time goes on. Thanks!!

-Ed

Currently Running: Mac Pro (early 2008 model - probably January when I received it - I'd assume this means it's a Harpertown processor??? I dont even know what that means); 300 gb internal HD, 500 gb 2nd internal HD, 4 gb RAM. Running Mac OS X 10.5.2
Old 05-12-2008, 11:05 AM

Default Re: which should I purchase?

The "factory" bundle doesn't change the hardware. It gives you some amazing plugins at a very discounted rate. I bought my Digi001 with the factory bundle about 7 years ago and I still use it today. I've got an 002 as well that I'm swapping into place of the 001 and planning to upgrade my tower so I can move to PT 7 (and get more processing power).

So basically, it comes down to - do you want a great deal on plugins? I personally would suggest that you do. However, that is your choice, and your money. http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...00&itemid=4622

PPC is a chip set that is older (the G3, G4, G5 series) and different in that certain apps won't run on the PPC machine that will run on the Intel machine. You are currently running on an Intel tower.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:34 PM

I plan on buying Reason as well as PT when PT becomes compatible with Leopard. From my understanding, Reason is also a plug-in program. Correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case are the plug-ins in Reason better then those in Pro Tools? I believe Reason is about $300 or $400 so the price difference would even out if I chose not to get the 003 factory rack. In your opinion is it worth it to get the factory rack over Reason. Or are they both really good investments?? Nothings stopping me from getting them both besides waiting a little longer for the next paycheck to come in haha. I just don't want to waste money needlessly when I could use it to buy some extra plug-ins that may be better or more suited to what I'm doing. Thanks again!

-Ed
Old 05-12-2008, 02:17 PM

Reason is a sequencer/synth program that you can "re-wire" into Pro Tools.

Think of it as more virtual instruments (drum machines, samplers, synths etc), not more effects (delays, eq's etc). Reason does have some effects in it but they can only be applied to Reason's virtual instruments.

When you buy a Pro Tools rig you'll get Reason Adapted in the Ignition Pack, I would start with that and when you're familiar with it look again at the full version of Reason and whether you need it or not.

I bought the 003 factory last year and I'm glad I went for the little bit extra price wise, the factory bundle is pretty good for the price.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:25 PM

Oh and with hard drives, if you're using a desktop, internal disks are fine. The key is to record to a second hard drive, not the hard drive with the OS installed on it.

If you have a laptop, or do recording on one system and mixing on another, an external firewire connected drive becomes the best option.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:33 PM

I would think that many of the people using external hard drives are either using laptops or iMacs, neither of which can hold a 2nd internal drive.

An internal 500GB drive will be faster and give you fewer problems than an external drive. You can always do your backups to an external drive (or a 3rd internal drive).

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 05-13-2008, 04:09 AM

Oohhh, I gotcha. So Reason is basically the sound effects (V.I.s) that I can get for my MIDI keyboard (bass guitar, cello, trumpet, etc). Definiately sounds like I'm going to go with the 003 factory rack. Aside from the Digi bundle it includes, can anybody else throw out a bunch of effects made by other companies that I could investigate into as well? I'd appreciate it, thanks all!

And thanks for the advice on the external HDs as well. Yes, I have an internal HD so I may just purchase a 3rd one for backups.

Having said that, I'm assuming you mean back it up using Time Machine? And if so, how often do you have it do that - daily, monthly? I originally had Time Machine turned on to back stuff up from my 1st HD to 2nd HD, but I found that within one month of having my Mac I already used 20% of the 2nd HDs capacity.

-Ed