Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-13-2001, 05:58 PM

Default ExpressproTools initialization

ANYONE FROM DIGI THERE??? I am pretty unhappy I have to wait till Monday with this....:

I'm installing 2 new Cheetah 18GBs with ATTO DualPort card/G4 533MHZ. Digi wants me to use ATTO ExpressProTools to intialize the drives and explains this can be done from the utilities menu in Exp.PT. But there's no initialize option in my menu..... I have not installed the EPT extension as this should only be recommended for removable drives.
Somebody please adv. as i can't start using the drives until I'm sure they are formatted right.

[This message has been edited by savage (edited April 14, 2001).]
Old 04-14-2001, 02:02 AM

Default Re: ExpressproTools initialization

I don't have my system in front of me right now, But if I recall correctly, I believe you want 'low level format' under the 'options' menu (of course after selecting the appropriate drive). I use version 2.5, not sure if it's any different from previous versions. There's even an option to optimize for digital audio, though I honestly can't say I know how this differs from nornmal.
Old 04-14-2001, 04:23 AM

use version 2.3.2 that comes with install cd-rom, it's generally safer.

jp
Old 04-14-2001, 06:41 AM

Thank you guys.

I'm using 2.3.2 coming with the 5.1 install CD.

But why would I want to LOW LEVEL format the drives, which should be unnecessary and generally unsafe since you can never get the same formatting conditions on location as on the factory.

What Digi suggests is an INITIALIZATION and that's not mentioned in my menus????????

Please advise anyone I',m still stuck here.
Old 04-14-2001, 06:44 AM

......Even ATTOs PDF manual for ExpressProtools mentions INITIALIZATION under the menu. Why on Earth can't I find this option?
Old 04-15-2001, 08:07 AM

From what I remember as I haven't done this for a while, you need to play with the drop down on the top of the left window which lets you see devices rather than buses or volumes rather than devices. Either that or you need to choose a volume in the right hand window. Sorry I am nowhere near my rig at the moment I hope this isn't even more confusing. ATTO software is not very intuitive. Don't low level format. You're right it is a last resort as the mapping from the software is nothing like as intelligent as that on a hardware formatting device found at the factory. If I get back to my rig later I will have a look and get back to you.
Old 04-15-2001, 09:01 AM

It's been a while, but I think you need to look for "Erase Disk" or something like that from one of the pull down menus.
Old 04-15-2001, 09:25 AM

"Erase Disk" is correct.

Don't low level format unless you absolutely have to.

DC
Old 04-15-2001, 10:05 AM

Most brand new drives out of the box need to be low level formatted for first time use.
Old 04-15-2001, 10:26 AM

I have two brand new 18 G Cheetahs I need to connect. They come up on the desktop when I uncheck 'inhibit load driver' in the information window, but I suspect they're corrupting my system, as after a few boot ups I get bombs at bootup with message 10, or 'illegal instruction', or 'unimplemented trap'', so I disconnected all drives and made a clean system install, reinstalled ProTools etc. and everything is fine. So I don't want to connect the drives until I know what to do with them.
I seems there are different opinions on whether to low level format or not. Is there an 'initialize option under 'erase'?
Who knows about this? I appreciate any comments.