Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2015, 06:32 PM

Default No audio output through monitors or headphones

I have Pro Tools 11. I have been recording for several years, but suddenly, there is no audio output through monitors or headphones. All my settings are correct. Re-booting the computer doesn't help. TRS cables to monitors are good. The Mbox powers on and the audio output registers on the meters in Pro tools. The signal paths are correct. I suspect it is a hardware problem. Could it be a blown sound card? If so, where do I send it for repair? What is the life expectancy of the Mbox hardware? Can the Avid techs rule out a software vs a hardware problem?
Old 07-18-2015, 09:41 PM

Default Re: No audio output through monitors or headphones

I have similar problem, jolson57. I posted a similar issue on the forum last week : titled Sound Suddenly Stops

I have Pro Tools 11 and m-audio fast track pro. I, too, have tried a lot of different remedies. Some work for a short while (maybe 10 minutes) before sound cuts out again.

Obvious things to check/try
Swap USB cable
make sure m-audio has not been inadvertNtly connected to USB3
Make sure, in Control Panel/Sound devices, the M-audio is still selected

What did short term fix for me was
Changing session sample rate from eg 512 to 1024 or vice-versa (or even to/from 256)
Close session, right click on pro tools icon and go to properties, in compatibility, change the OS to something else. My PC is Windows 7 so I changed it to Vista, or Vista service pack 1.
Don't ask me why it worked for me. And, no, you shouldn't need to have to revert to this.

What didn't work for me, but apparently has worked for others is variously
Reassigning the output chanel to the clip
Deleting the Master track
Reinstalling the previous m-audio driver

I also upgraded my RAM from 6GB to 16GB and installed a solid sate drive and migrated my programs and boot directory over to it, still running Pro Tools session files from a dedicated USB3 external drive.
None of this fixed the issue, though it did make my PC run blisteringly quick.

My fast track pro is maybe 5 or so years old. I have just bought a new interface (a Focusrite sapphire 18i8) and am waiting for it to be delivered. My fingers are crossed that it resolves my issue.

Sorry I can't offer a fix, but I surely share your angst.

JerryA
Old 07-20-2015, 03:12 AM

Location: Currently Sliema, Malta. Normal address is Berlin, Germany.

This might sound obvious, but did you actually test the headphones so that there's nothing wrong with them? Perhaps it's time for some new ones? Just asking since it has happened to me a number of times that I go through all the advanced settings etc to find a problem, when in reality it's the most simple thing thats wrong.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:03 AM

Make sure you have selected the correct M-Audio driver in the playback engine.
Remember that PT 11 can run with the onboard audio so make sure you connect a pair of headphones to the computer's front/back panels and see what happens.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:03 PM

I just bought PT 12 and have an M audio fast track interface. I get nothing through the monitors, just the tiny, tinny mac leakage, even though it works fine with Garageband and Itunes. What's wrong? I see nothing here to help....
Old 10-11-2016, 08:07 PM

It's hard to help you guys when you don't post any system specs. Not even if you're on MAC or PC.