Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2011, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 will NOT support RTAS plugins!

Everyone complained that avid doesn't work with 64bit systems. Pro tools 11 and add format are all designed to work in that environment. It will be as close to HD as you get. I will be at Namm asking Avid all kinds of questions this year for different forums so if you have a question please let me know. I'm going to bend their ear for four days.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:02 AM

Fxpansion may have something to say about this.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip888 View Post
Fxpansion may have something to say about this.
like what?
they may make a VST to AAX wrapper but a RTAS to AAX wrapper?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-14-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
like what?
Could be.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanrock View Post
To all Pro Tool users here,

I've been reading more and more people saying things like this,

"Was talking with with an engineer friend about how Pro Tools 11 will not support RTAS plugins... "

Why is this even any news at all? It was common knowledge when PT 10 was announced. Developers will move to the new format and life will improve for all.

You might as well be crowing about the demise of the 8 track...

Life goes on and the digital audio world progresses. If you want to stay in RTAS, 32 bit land nobody is stopping you, stay at PT 10.
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 12-14-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
like what?
They would need a license from Avid to do that, and if they did get the license it would give them the tools to make a rtas to vst wrapper, which avid would absolutely not allow.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 will NOT support RTAS plugins!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckreon View Post
I guess I fail to see what concerns you on this. ... We get a complete re-write of PT... AAX is far more capable than RTAS or TDM in pretty much every way...

Total newb here, but for what it's worth, I feel that it might be better to build a solid system, as up to date as you can, and leave it there. Avoid everything from new plug ins all the way down to driver updates.

The RTAS I have will be solid as a rock with my PT9 system till the end of time if I keep the hardware in good shape and resist hopping on the newest versions of everything. Remember, some great sounding records were done on G4's with pro tools 6 or 7.

When new features are looking good enough for a new build, chances are my computer will be getting a little long in the tooth anyway, so I'd set it aside as a great 2nd rig, for a jam space or pre pro room, and then again set out to build a rock solid system circa, whatever year it is and allow that to sit and be it's own piece of gear that works. With that in mind, I'm all for a switch... if it actually gives us some justifiable gain... I'm happy now with PT9, I'm not losing a thing. I'd rather see whatever resources that would have gone into a, most likely clunky, RTAS to AAX converter go into a better channel strip, or a more CPU friendly way of dealing with plug ins to give me a few more instances of my favorite comp... or [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]... some more tech support or a wider variety of tested systems... that stuff costs money... imagine if the bugs were all worked out for some less expensive components... that would be awfully nice.

In any case, I'm rambling now... but that's My 2¢ :)

Wow, those bleeps really made my '$h!t' look like a cuss filled freak out, hehe.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:44 AM

I'm pretty vocal about the business model of incremental updates, holding back features and fixes, just to sell them in the next version. The worst offenders of this are of course Microsoft, Adobe and finally Apple has joined the ranks by not supporting iOS 6 on the original iPad.

But, I just don't see Avid in this category. It just seems to me they're always far too busy making sure the current versions are patched and fixed, and they would probably like to move forward faster than they actually do.

But I'm not expert on the technologies either - heck, I'm still on PT8 and it works and sounds great. Sure, I would like to upgrade, but I just can't right now. At least PT11 will ship with the full complement of plug ins, which I think do the job for most people. For those who spent good cash on third party RTAS, yeah, I feel for ya, and I hope you can still use them one way or the other.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSW View Post
For those who spent good cash on third party RTAS, yeah, I feel for ya, and I hope you can still use them one way or the other.
They won't in Protools 11, but the real money spent was on TDM plugs... usually double!

Beside, most RTAS plugs have VST versions so if FXpansion rises to the occasion... maybe even a VST3 to AAX wrapper?

How impressive would an AAX plug that could wrap any TDM, RTAS, or VST plug be?
Old 10-24-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckreon View Post
I guess I fail to see what concerns you on this. The ones that are being put out the most here are the plugin devs, not us.

We get a complete re-write of PT to optimize, modernize, and significantly improve the performance and capabilities of the software. Most plugin devs are already announcing free updates to AAX, and others are offering version updates which will include AAX at a very modest price (to clarify, you would have been paying for it anyways, as they are launching a new version, it's not costing you because of the format change).

The plugin devs get put in a bit of a weird place, not wanting to upset us with upgrade prices, but also having to spend money on the format switch. However, it's also good for them because AAX is far more capable than RTAS or TDM in pretty much every way.

Seriously, I just do not at all understand why you're upset by any of this.

Especially considering the fact that if you for some reason hate better performance, you can always stick with what you have right now!

Quite frankly, I CAN'T WAIT for PT11. I have fantasies of PT11 running as light and fast as Reaper every day. Fingers are crossed
This, this, this, and this.

AAX is a big improvement over what we have now. Who here really thinks RTAS VI's are efficient? Anyone? While there may be little different in a RTAS vs AAX channel strip, there's a lot of room for improvements in VI's. Some developers have even hinted once we get a 64-bit Pro Tools there will be some cool new features they can't use now with AAX plugs in 32-bit pt10.

Fwiw I have gone through my plugs and am only sticking with those companies that are moving to AAX. Metric Halo, McDSP, and Slate Digital pretty much have me covered (for very reasonable prices too) . Now I just need avid to bring on a streamlined AAX based super-charged 64-bit pro tools. :)