Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 10-18-2019, 03:36 PM

Default Banking & Layout Mode Hybrid

I am very thankful that you added virtual banks to banking mode, which makes it much more useful. I am however finding myself regularly wishing there was a hybrid mode with Banking and Layout.

It feels like this should just be the default anyway that when you recall a layout it should leave your faders on the console from banking mode. I most often work in Banking mode on the surface but working daily still on System 5's I very much appreciate the power of Layout mode and love that you can select only certain faders to be saved in Layout mode so i can quickly lay those over the top of another layout. I would really like to do this over the top of banking mode and have faders in banking mode bank around saved faders in a layout.

This way I could quickly laydown VCA masters over a section of faders quickly and have the other faders bank around them. This would be very, very helpful to my workflow. If there is a way to do this already I'd love to learn about it.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:49 AM
Avid

Default Banking & Layout Mode Hybrid

Greetings. Have you tried creating Track Layout segments and loading them into the Left and Right Spill Zones? With this workflow it is possible and efficient to have essentially three different chunks of real estate on the console with which to populate important elements including audio tracks, VCAs, effects returns, stems and more. Certainly it is also possible to designate which track blocks in the destination scroller will be replaced on recall of a 1:1 Track Layout, however I still believe that it is more efficient to create wholistic layouts in addition to layout chunks that can be recalled into zones.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-21-2019, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Banking & Layout Mode Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings. Have you tried creating Track Layout segments and loading them into Tye Left and Right Spill Zones? With this workflow it is possible and efficient to have essentially three different chunks of real estate on the console with which to populate important elements including audio tracks, VCAs, effects returns, stems and more.
Yes I have and I praise the console many times over for this feature it is so very helpful and makes many things possible both within a session and across multiple DAW's and Workstations. It however feels much more intuitive to laydown a Track Loyout over the top of banking mode if you haven't specified a zone to drop it to. Rather than pressing a layout and it taking over your entire surface it just drops where you saved the tracks. That seems like that would be helpful for nearly everyone and would be a pretty natural thing to happen, especially if you specifically chose to save only certain channel strips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Certainly it is also possible to designate which track blocks in the destination scroller will be replaced on recall of a 1:1 Track Layout.
Could you expound on this further, from what I can see I have to update an all layout as I add tracks (which banking mode automatically does). Plus there is no shift clicking to select all tracks. I could use "Double Tap Assign to Copy Tracks from Banking Mode into Current Layout" but I am dealing with 160 tracks regularly and though I could get a surface that many faders I do not want one with that many faders as a single user. Going into Layout mode without choosing a zone takes over the entire surface. Hopefully, it makes sense what I am driving at.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:01 PM
Avid

Please take a look at the following entry from this TOD and let me know if you have any questions about the workflow.

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2527186&postcount=62

best,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-21-2019, 04:29 PM

Thanks Jeff you must have read my mind, I was going to ask you about those settings under Settings>User>Layouts. The first part of your post I understood pretty well from the System 5 and is what I am hoping to do with a hybrid mode of Banking Mode and Layout mode with a partial layout saved. With it working like the System 5 which always functions like the preference "Reset Banked Position to Home" since you can't bank on the System 5. I think it is awesome that these modes exist and shows the power and flexibility of the surface!

I played around with the preferences them quite a bit and made sense out of all of them. I had a little trouble with the terminology again but that is understandably difficult to name things. For example "Update Global Banked Position (Do Not Bank)" = "Update All Layouts to Last Banked Position." I think I understand the reason for saying globally though.

In the end, though it doesn't look like there is an option to be in Banking Mode and have a partially stored layout lay over the top of banking mode which I think would be awesome! This mode would be another mode below the 5 other modes. It could read something like "Merge Layout at Stored Position Over Banking Mode" and for this mode a simple tick box like your other two tick boxes that reads "Bank Around Layouts in Merge Layout at Stored Position Over Banking Mode" to me would be absolutely clear what that checkbox corresponds with. A less clear alternative could be something like "Bank Around Layout Strips - Hybrid Mode" which is more in line with the other two options of "Bank Around Locked Strips - Banking Mode" & "Bank Around Locked Strips - Layout Mode"

Thank you for all your help with things, it is very appreciated. A thread dedicated to layouts User Settings and referenced video for Layouts would be fantastic!

Last edited by skilletaudio; 10-22-2019 at 12:26 PM.