Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2010, 05:48 PM

Default Pro Tools placing sound EARLY??

Hello,

Today I noticed the strangest thing: ProTools is placing a recording 5020 (yes, 5020) samples BEFORE it should!

Or, Am I missunderstanding something? Am I too tired today??

This is how I noticed it:

1) I started a new session, just to test a new mic I got yesterday.
2) I created 1 audio track (no plugins, no routings, nothing, directly from the Digi002 input to Monitors), 1 Master track and 1 click track.
3) I started singing (with headphones) while listening to the click).
4) When playing back the recording, I could hear that the click I was hearing in my headphones was bleeding into the microphone. I noticed the recorded click (I mean the click bleed from the headphones to the mic) was sounding BEFORE the real click!!

So, I inserted a time-adjuster in the audio track and started putting time until the recorded click until they sounded exactly at the same time. The result: 5020 samples.

I started playing with the I/O sample buffer. No resulting change with that. I'm using the low-latency-monitoring feature to record the track.

So, I don't get it. I noticed in the past delayed tracks, because of the plgings and so. But This is the first time I notice a track is actually sounding before it was supposed to sound.

Both tracks, the recorded one and the click one, are going straight to Monitors. No plugins.

Has anyone seen this before?

My system:

Windows 7 64 Bit
ProTools 8.0.4
Complete Production Tool Kit
Digi 002 Rack
Motherboard: Supermicro X8DA6+
2 Processors: Intel Xeon Six Core X5650 2.66 Ghz 12mb L3 cache (12 cores, 24 threads total)
Ram: 4 modules 4 GB each (16 GB total) Kingston DDR3 ECC registered gold 1333 MHz
Boot disk: SSDNow Kingston SNVP325-S2/64GB
Media disks: 2 Western Digital Velociraptor 600 GB 32 MB cache 10K RPM SATA3
Video: nVidia GeForce GT220 1 GB GDDR3 PCIe

Thanks in advance for any comments on this!

Francisco

EDIT: For anyone looking for the solution to this issue, look at http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=284353

However, that's a fix on version 8. Anyone should be on Pro Tools 10 or later to also enjoy Automatic Delay Compensation, which makes recording in Pro Tools a completely different experience.

Last edited by Zarabozo; 06-02-2018 at 02:57 AM.