Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-03-2020, 03:21 AM

Default Re: I think I can use an ssd in my old cheesegrater

AdaptaDrive and Irwin look good to me. SSD have no moving parts so both should be equally good, no need to consider vibrations. Their only function is to position the smaller drive correctly so the connectors hit motherboard
Old 03-03-2020, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
I do see what you are getting at, but I am not so sure trying to just stick the connectors to the motherboard would work very well. Hard to even get it back there.

JFreak is right. You can just attach the drive to the slot. I’ve done this before as we didn’t have an adaptor sled on hand and needed to boot the machine.

I’d not leave it there long term without a brace underneath, but seeing as SSDs weigh bugger all, it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

You could probably use the incorrect sled and just drill new mounting holes for the drive. It’s literally just he alignment of the port on the MP that’s different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2020, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
You can just attach the drive to the slot. I’ve done this before...
Me too.
I've done this aswell.
Stuck a empty matchbox under it for support, and it worked fine for a couple of years.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Oh, well mine is a 2006 4-core 3.0 Ghz "built-to-order". https://everymac.com/systems/apple/m...3.0-specs.html

Can you confirm whether the adaptadrive would work with a 2006 machine?

According to owc, that sled they sell doesn't work with anything pre-2009.

I called them today, and the salesman sent a link to something he thought might work. Looks a lot like the one you referenced, right? But no extra pin connectors to mess with.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/ADPSAS2535B/. [The one owc linked me to]

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newe...hoC6ksQAvD_BwE [The one you referenced, right?]
Don't bother with that OWC bracket, it's made for SAS drives and needs external cabling.

And yes that NewerTech is the one. It should work just fine in any computer. It's designed to fit just like a 3.5" drive. I think they're better constructed than some of the cheap Amazon adapters.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:50 PM

Yep Will is correct. What the frigging hell is wrong with this OWC guy. I sent you there hoping you would get quick easy help and not have somebody there waste your time. They are usually better than this.

This is way harder than it should be. As other have pointed out lots of adapter sleds should work, but they have to be designed for the Mac Pro to get the exact correct connector placement.

A quick Google of "Mac Pro 1,1 2.5 drive adapter" lead directly to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ASXOD5h5g Amusingly over-detailed instructions in that video... but you are set.

And here is the sled he is using... https://www.amazon.com/SMR-DRIVESLED.../dp/B01EBHFS0O

There will be many other options out there. including lots of 3.5" carriers that connect to a 2.5" drive SATA connector using a short cable, I don't like those, just another thing to go wrong. I've used the OWC 2.5" carriers in previous later model Mac Pro, not sure what changed between drive carriers in different generations of the Cheesegraters, but all that has been a waste of time here.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:25 PM

Darryl, incidentally I tried a couple of those adapter plates from Wegener Media. I could not get them to fit in my 2010 cMP. No amount of fiddling would do and of course I was past my return window.

I think I still have two - mightyduck if you want to try them PM me.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Yep Will is correct. What the frigging hell is wrong with this OWC guy. I sent you there hoping you would get quick easy help and not have somebody there waste your time. They are usually better than this.

This is way harder than it should be. As other have pointed out lots of adapter sleds should work, but they have to be designed for the Mac Pro to get the exact correct connector placement.

A quick Google of "Mac Pro 1,1 2.5 drive adapter" lead directly to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ASXOD5h5g Amusingly over-detailed instructions in that video... but you are set.

And here is the sled he is using... https://www.amazon.com/SMR-DRIVESLED.../dp/B01EBHFS0O

There will be many other options out there. including lots of 3.5" carriers that connect to a 2.5" drive SATA connector using a short cable, I don't like those, just another thing to go wrong. I've used the OWC 2.5" carriers in previous later model Mac Pro, not sure what changed between drive carriers in different generations of the Cheesegraters, but all that has been a waste of time here.

Right, Darryl. But you have to follow along so it not time wasted. : )

FWIW, I posted the links you just posted quite a few posts ago.

I don’t know what’s the big difference between the sleds from the different build years either? Does anyone? Can this mystery be solved? Is it all a trick or what?

Best,

mightyduck
Old 03-04-2020, 01:35 AM

Only thing I don't like about the Newtech is the extra PC board / pins. Seems unnecessary and a source of slow-down / glitchiness. I hear you guys though, and I guess its worked good for you. So maybe I'm just being picky.

I kind of like this one for some reason, and it says it will definitely fit w/money back guarantee. [Whatever, the shipping is probably more than the price of the item].

https://www.amazon.com/MAC-Drive-Sle.../dp/B01M366L82

Anybody ever use one?

Thanks,

mightyduck
Old 03-27-2020, 04:16 AM

OK, so I installed the SSD using the high-tech piece of plastic shown here:

https://www.amazon.com/MAC-Drive-Sle.../dp/B01M366L82

Its about 500GB Samsung Evo.

Any particular recommendations on how to format it? Or how best to get the data from the old one onto it?

Using the mighty and amazing Disk Warrior, I was able to copy virtually everything from the old non-working drive onto other [working] drives in the computer. Figured I'd just copy the stuff back onto the new SSD, probably after clean-installing the OS. I am not sure how I am going to update from 10.4.7 to 10.4.9. Where would I find the updater?

Best,

mightduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 03-27-2020 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:19 AM

OS installers have been in Apple App Store since Lion so go search there