Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2017, 07:09 AM

Default Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0

So I just got a new computer with intel 6800K cpu and MSI X99 SLI Plus motherboard. I have installed Pro Tools 12.5 on Windows 10.
There is this new feature called Intel Turbo Boost Max. I am wondering if that would help Pro Tools performance.
Has anyone experience with this dynamic overclocking technology?
Old 07-10-2017, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0

Nope, that is specifically one of the things you should disable:http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en367983

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 07-10-2017, 09:22 AM

Hi Joel!
That optimization suggestion is very old! I remember that one since 2010.
The Turbo Max 3.0, is quite new so I was wondering if it's different and if anyone tried it.
How could I run some tests to check if it's working good and stable with Pro Tools?
Old 07-11-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderrp7 View Post
Hi Joel!
That optimization suggestion is very old! I remember that one since 2010.
The Turbo Max 3.0, is quite new so I was wondering if it's different and if anyone tried it.
How could I run some tests to check if it's working good and stable with Pro Tools?
Do you need any more power with that processor? I have a 6900k, and have turbo boost disabled, and have yet to even use more than 25% of my processor.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:59 AM

There really is no harm in trying it. Leave it enabled, run one of your typical sessions through PT and see how your system performs. If you start having issues with CPU spikes or sessions that don't run smoothly, then turn it back off and see if there is an improvement.

Honestly I forgot to disable it with my latest build (i5 7500) and PT runs fine. Also take note that my sessions are typically rather small and use mostly plug-ins with only one or two VIs. Case in point; your mileage may vary ;-)

System Details
Old 07-11-2017, 11:55 AM

I'd be surprised if it ever even kicked in (with a 6800K) unless you're routinely running Hans Zimmer size sessions.

I turned it off here because I overclocked my 6850K a bit in BIOS, and I don't like the idea of Intel's software deciding what my cores do or don't do.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 07-14-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
There really is no harm in trying it. Leave it enabled, run one of your typical sessions through PT and see how your system performs. If you start having issues with CPU spikes or sessions that don't run smoothly, then turn it back off and see if there is an improvement.

Honestly I forgot to disable it with my latest build (i5 7500) and PT runs fine. Also take note that my sessions are typically rather small and use mostly plug-ins with only one or two VIs. Case in point; your mileage may vary ;-)
I'd be willing to run some tests. Not in a usual session but maybe with tons of D-Verb and sine waves. Could you give me some guidelines or link me to another thread that describes that kind of test maybe?
Old 07-14-2017, 10:29 AM

Search for the D-Verb 2 test. It's possibly in the i7 thread.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-14-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderrp7 View Post
I'd be willing to run some tests. Not in a usual session but maybe with tons of D-Verb and sine waves. Could you give me some guidelines or link me to another thread that describes that kind of test maybe?
A good simple test would be to keep Turbo Boost on, then create a session and keep adding tracks until the session won't run smoothly any more.

Once you hit that point, disable Turbo boost and do the same thing and see if you can add more tracks than before.

I would use one or two audio files. Create a track using one file, add D-Verb to the insert. Add a second track using the second audio file and add D-Verb to the insert. I would also stagger the start times of each track. For example, track one is at bar 1 beat 1, track two starts at bar 4 beat 1, track three starts at bar 8 beat 1 and on and on. This way you can add say 50 tracks, start playing from the beginning and it will keep increasing the load on the system as it runs. Once you get to the point where it won't play smoothly, take note of how many tracks played. This way you can use the session for the second part of your test to see if the CPU setting makes any difference.

You can always add more insert FX or a VI for different session/system loads.

Like The Weed mentioned above, lots use the D-Verb test to stress a system. Go to this like http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426 and search for "
The Dverb 2.0 Test", where you'll find how to run it.

System Details