Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2016, 05:06 AM
Blue Cat Audio

Default Blue Cat's Destructor - Beyond Distortion and Amp Simulation Now Available!

Dear Pro Tools Users,

We are happy to introduce today Blue Cat's Destructor, our new comprehensive distortion and amp sim modeling plug-in, capable of simulating any kind of distortion.

This new plug-in gives access to an unlimited number of non-linear processing models, ranging from harsh digital destruction to smooth analog compression or guitar amp simulation (and it works for clean tones too).

It is delivered with hundreds of presets and predefined models, many of them inspired by real gear. It offers the ability to create completely custom distortion simulations beyond these models, thanks to its flexible yet simple signal processing chain - no need to purchase extra presets or amp models to build the perfect custom tone, right inside Pro Tools.

Based on a perceptual model rather than on electronic designs or impulse responses, it simplifies the process of tweaking the tone and making it fit into the mix. Thanks to its exclusive adaptive shaper, it is reactive to the playing of instrumentalists, providing a very natural feeling, similar to analog gear.

In order to make the look and feel of the plug-in match the tone, the plug-in is bundled with more than 1400 visual styles that can be selected separately for each module.

The plug-in is currently being demonstrated at the 141st AES Convention in Los Angeles, on booth #410. It will be available for purchase and download on October 11th, delivered as a plug-in in multiple formats for Windows and Mac (AAX and RTAS included).

For more details, you read get more information and listen to the plug-in on bluecataudio.com, or watch this introduction video.

Main Features:
- Powerful distortion and amp modeling tool.
- Simulate any kind of distortion: analog or digital, guitar and bass amps, saturation, clipping, compression, bit crushing...
- Works for "clean" sounds too.
- Get started with several hundreds of fully editable presets, inspired by real gear.
- More than 1400 visual styles to customize the user experience.
- Control the dynamics with the input gate and compressor.
- Control the tone with the pre and post filters.
- Exclusive shape dynamics control: adapt the tone to the dynamics of the signal.
- Use the internal or external side chain to trigger the distortion.
- Protect your ears with the output brickwall limiter.
- Comprehensive visual feedback: real time spectrum analysis, dynamic distortion curve display with embedded signal histograms.
- Load reference curves for tone matching.
- No latency.

System requirements:
- Intel Mac running Mac OS 10.5 or newer.
- PC running Windows XP or newer.

Pricing:
Blue Cat's Destructor: 79 EUR or $99 (excl. VAT)

Last edited by bluecataudio; 10-13-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Introducing Blue Cat's Destructor - Beyond Distortion and Amp Simulation

Saw the video and it's interesting but also, at least for me, a bit disappointing. It's looks like it does a lot of the same things that Izotope Trash2 does which I just purchased at $29 US. Now I love and own a goodly number of Blue Cat stuff which I use on a regular basis (BC Dynamics lives on my 2-bus for instance) but this seems a bit me-too. Yet another amp sim/saturation/distortion plugin.

Convince me - what's this got that nothing else on the market has?

QAPLA!
Old 09-30-2016, 01:23 AM
Blue Cat Audio

Default Re: Introducing Blue Cat's Destructor - Beyond Distortion and Amp Simulation

It's actually quite different from what you can find on the market, but it's definitely challenging to explain with words .

This in-depth Q&A session about Blue Cat's Destructor will hopefully help you find out before you can try the demo!

Last edited by bluecataudio; 09-30-2016 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecataudio View Post
It's actually quite different from what you can find on the market, but it's definitely challenging to explain with words .

This in-depth Q&A session about Blue Cat's Destructor will hopefully help you find out before you can try the demo!

Thanks for the link. Looks like I'll be giving this a real critical look and hope I'll be pleasantly surprised but words alone and the lone demo video aren't convincing me. I am thankful for demo s/w because it's helped me to not spend money on something a developer crowed big time over and turned out (at least for me and maybe others) to be not so great after all.

QAPLA!
Old 09-30-2016, 09:27 AM
Blue Cat Audio

That's one of the reasons why we never do pre-orders: we would not recommend buying a plug-in without trying anyway!
Old 09-30-2016, 12:50 PM

This looks interesting, especially in conjunction with Patchwork routing. I look forward to giving it a try!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-03-2016, 01:16 AM
Blue Cat Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
especially in conjunction with Patchwork routing.
That's indeed the idea: using PatchWork to add effects. You can also chain several instances of the Destructor plug-in
to simulate distortion pedals in front of an amp, or more. For example, the Wah in the introduction video is actually simulated by a pre-filter section of Blue Cat's Destructor.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:22 AM
Blue Cat Audio

Guitar players may be interested in the following video btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16RGQ87YdGg
Old 10-05-2016, 05:35 AM
Blue Cat Audio

And here is another video showing a few clean and crunch tones on a simple funky riff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beZwOdyK-Tk
Old 10-11-2016, 05:52 AM

Destructor is now available. See here: http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products...ct_Destructor/

Registered users/owners of other Blue Cat stuff watch for an email with a limited time discount code.

QAPLA!