Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 12-10-2012, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Still Using Sound Designer 2

Thanks for the reply, Wirefall.

That SDII is software is correct, but I have a hardware card in the old Apple IIfx for audio input and output, both analog and digital. It is the cable bundle with all the connectors on it that attaches to the card that is missing.

This cable bundle is what I am looking to replace, or at least find a pin out.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:03 AM

Ah, ok. Which kind of card is it exactly?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modi View Post
Hi:
I edited 35 classical music CDs with Sound Designer 2 and I am afraid of the day when the old computer will stop functioning.

I have a question: I love the horizontal regions display in the play list mode that Sound Designer 2 provided. Does anyone knows if this way of editing was completely abandoned or there is now an audio two track editing system that still uses this horizontal display?

I tried many PC based editors but using them is always more complicated and tedious then the Sound Designer 2.

All of them seems to me are using vertical play-lists and it is difficult to go back and forth to the regions and tweak them while in Sound Designer 2 it was very easy.

Is Pro Tools a continuation of Sound Designer 2 or a completely different system? as far as audio editing is concerned.
I will appreciate any input, clarification and suggestions.
Thanks,
Mordecai

Unlike AIFF and .WAV, SDII also contains time-stamping information which is incredibly useful for spotting audio data between applications - ie. it retains information on when a clip was recorded against a timeline. Broadcast Wave (BWAV) also does this. If you want data to be cross-platform and have embedded time-stamping, you should use BWAV, or just stay where you are I guess. I keep an old PPC around for situations that come up like this.
Have you tried to take a look at Audio Ease Products? Snapper is cheap and I find it useful and it will read SDII format as well.
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 06-17-2015, 10:54 AM

OK... 2015 here... but thought I'd drop a note...

I just set up an MDD 1.25GHz running OS 9.2.2, with 1.5GB RAM, 30GB SSD connected to a PCI SATA2 card, internal IDE has a 150GB drive.

SD II 2.8.3, AM 3 card, DigiSystem Init 5.1... and it's all running.

Just thought that someone, anyone might like to know it's still possible.

I was having trouble with my "original" discs (DigiSystem Init 3.2, or something) running. Would start SD, but the program then couldn't find the AudioMedia 3 card.

So... as I am figuring it... barring any sort of CPU acceleration... I have the fastest system possible to run Sound Designer on.

...cuz I've never come across another program that does things as simply and to the point (i.e. it's all in the pull down menu's) than Sound Designer.

Chip Tredo

p.s. the IDE is my OS and program drive, the SSD is the drive I'm recording to. Always felt like the "wait time" for SD to load and store information to the drive was seriously slow. The SSD should help that situation. I hope.

That, or I'm going to end up creating some sort of virtual worm-hole that my house will get sucked into.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:46 PM

SSD is cool with Sounddesigner 2, have the same in my Quadra. It's a little bit like "Star Trak Generations"

Please keep in mind that you cannot run any plugin with AMIII. As there where really good plugins AMII is indeed the better choice.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:06 AM

I have a hard copy of the Sound Designer II manual. I need an authorization diskette to get it working though.

Does Sound Designer work on Mix hardware, or does it only work with those Audio Media cards and PTIII Project/Disk I/O cards?
Old 03-29-2016, 02:14 AM

Don't know about Mix hardware, but Audiomedia II (Nubus) is recommended as it provides DSP Power for SD II plug-ins. The newer AM III (PCI) not.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:19 AM

Brining up this old thread.

I am trying to get Sound Designer 2.83 to work with and Emu Emax.

Anyone have any experience with this combo?
Old 09-30-2020, 06:53 AM

AFAIR 2.8x hasn't got direct sampler support (SCSI), with the exception of their own SampleCell cards.
However, you could just work with 2.8x and send resulting sound files to your Emu via other ways.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:49 PM

I have a Mix rig and I’d like to get SDII working on it but I’m not sure how well the system would handle having Mix cards and an older SDII-compatible card mixed together. I remember having either a Disk I/O or Project card alone in a system, connected to an 888/24 and SDII worked perfectly (no plugins though).

I wonder what would happen if I drop in a Project or Disk I/O on top of my Mix Core. Guess it’s time to experiment...