Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2004, 04:06 AM

Default WARNING SP2 - AMD A7V8X users and such - BIG CRASH

All,
I recently went in and upgraded to the 6.4. Worked well with only minor issues that pthers were reporting on as well. (menues, and such) Well, now I have issues and I am going to have to rebuild my machine. Fortunantely I was planning on this, but not so soon. Anyways, on a thought to "TEST" the SP2 patch, I installed it. Well the first night all seemed to be working well. Then last night it all BLEW UP! When I closed out of Media Player, BLUE SCREEN. When I tried to load a PT session BLUE SCREEN. When I tried to load a aplication BLUE SCREEN. So I went back and did a restore to a date before I installed any new stuff. Same deal. I think that even though the restore back dates, the residual data is still present and causes issues. How do I come to this conclusion you ask? Well, when I go to my manage tool, my RPC service is not present, and there is NOTHING in the manage SERVICES tool. Nada, zip, zero. Now...... This is a bad thing... How are you supposed to start a service when the MMC does not work, services are not there, and ya cannot stop, start or fix anything.

CAN YOU SAY "REBUILD!" So... with that I want to warn the AMD users to NOT go near that SP2. Not saying that it is the primary culprete, but... Nothing else I did can put the issues where they are but that. So I am going to rebuild tonight, force myself to make this a PRO TOOLS only box, and only load my audio software. When I need MAYA back on it, I will load it, but I will hold off. SUCKS, but it may be a good thing. Hopefully I can get back into it to at least save my plugin settings.

Anybody know the answer if you have a SESSION, but the plugins have been reinstalled, do they create the personal settings if they are missing? Or are ya screwed?

Also, for those who care, I run a :

AMD 2400
A7V8X Motherboard
1 gig of Ram
40 gig ATA 133 7200rpm System drive
80 Gig ATA 133 7200 RPM backup drive
80 GIG Serial ATA 150 7200 Audio drive set to Raid 1+0.
Dual head GeForce 4 Ti 4800 video card
Audigy 2 Sound card
blah blah....

- Doc
"The king of annual reinstalls"

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 04-22-2004, 06:43 AM

Default Re: WARNING SP2 - AMD A7V8X users and such - BIG C

Geez, Doc...I was worried there for a sec. I thought you crashed THE CAR! Computer? Ah, that's replaceable...a tight, tuned up GTI? You almost made me cry...I was getting ready for a moment of silence...

Old 04-22-2004, 07:08 AM

isn't SP2 still in beta? its incredibly tempting to say, "I told you so." but i won't...
Old 04-22-2004, 07:26 AM

SP2 is in its release canidate stages, hope they fix whatever BSOD's your having before its final

maybe it overwrote your VIA drivers with a SP2 stock one?, I would reinstall them latest VIA drivers over top SP2 and see if that helps. just curious, what BSOD error?
Old 04-22-2004, 07:27 AM

Basstard! No no no... Please do! I am one to say "F" it and give it a shot. I have 4 systems and they all have the main data backed up (for the most part) so I so go for it. Honestly, I do this stuff for a living as a I.T. guy for the Govt. Intel world (hence the name) so I am use to the crap crashing. Figured I would give it a shot... BAD MOVE! No worries, I will be back online soon enough. Just a pain. The good part is that I really wanted to rebuild the machine, format and clean it up some. That way it will be a PT only machine with all the plugs..... and such... Just blows that a client was over and the BSOD always popped up....

As for the CAR! That would be bad! It is fine, and getting new shoes for it soon! Wore those puppoes down pretty quick! $1000.00 bucks later, she will be happy again.... When I spin in 3 gears, it is time to look into new shoes. I could barely get 1st when I first put them on. Car stuck like glue... 240 ponies out of 2000 pounds later.... She is spinnin... Thinking about going to the track first before she starts walking better... Figured I pretty much have slicks on there now.

Later,
- Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 04-22-2004, 07:29 AM

There were multiple ones. Did not write them done. It was all memory dumps though for the 2 that I got. Whenever I close Media Player is killed it, and then when I tried to load a PT session it got halfway there and then killed it.

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 04-22-2004, 09:02 AM

IntelDoc... I didn't know you were using A7V8X, 'couse I would have gone rushing to your home to get my rig fixed...you are only 25 minutes from my house in Silver Spring. Anyhow, I don't know if you read, but I was in trouble for about 3 almost 4 weeks dealing with the infamous 9073 error.

I also noticed that when I loaded SP1a I got some SP2 files somehow, and I'm thinking perhaps that was part of my problem. Thanks to Shan and others, I was able to get rid of my problems.

I tried my sessions on the C/ drive and "no problems" got a new HHD for my audio files, and now everything is running great. I made my PC a PT only box, and I will keep it that way. Davec is 32x8 but that's good enough for me. Have you mess around with mobo and the bios, and have you done many OS/tweaks???

I'm hessitant about 6.4, but since I'm the king of winxp re-installs...if I run into problems, I just do another one....jejeje.

Hey what about that mixing thing???? if you have some time and want to check my band out come to H2O this friday.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:18 AM

Camilo,
Hey man! Ya I have been meaning to touch base with you again. Sorry abou that. Been swamped! We need to meet up about that song because I would like to help you out.

Anyways, I am a A7V8X user and as of now it was great. I think that it was the SP2 that blew up my machine, but I cannot really say Yes or No to that. The 6.4 fixed a lot of my problems. I am going to try to get on there and pull my plug in settings that I have saved, but I think that PRO TOOLS holds that data in the session folder anyways? I cannot remember. I heard from SPKGUITAR (Shawn) and he told me that it should, but I cannot remember.

I know that I have a folder that has my SAVED settings that I use a lot. If I IMPORT that setting into a PRO TOOLS session and save that session, I think that it in turn saves that setting to the session. That way they are all in fact "SAVED" That will save a lot, and let me just go and BLOW away the drive, format and start from scratch. I have my SampleTank and Amplitube data for registration so I am straight there..... Just need to get it back up and running...

Anyways, Shoot me a call on my cell (number is on the site) and we can chat about meeting up in the near future. I have 2 gigs I am working now that I am trying to finish up. But within 2 weeks I think that we can roll if you would like.

later,
-Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 04-22-2004, 09:48 AM

DOC, I think it's only if you've actually physically saved the settings in the session's Plug-in settings folder. I could be wrong about that, though.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-22-2004, 10:08 AM

I save the session settings. Not to worry... I will get it.... I think that it is there, and if not, no big deal. I have it all backed up on DVD for the most part!

Thanks though!

- Doc

Monument Sound Facebook