Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2016, 04:20 AM

Default PT 12 corrupting projects and unable to import WAVs

I actually have this already in the Post Production thread - http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=376492 - but thought I'd try here to see if others have had this issue.

What happens is that in PT12HD sometimes projects glitch, and once glitched it is impossible to import any new WAV files, either by drag and drop from the OS, or via Workspace. AIFFs are unaffected, and the projects all work normally in PT10. The symptoms when trying to import is that PT highlights the correct length of the new WAV, but actually places an existing file (always the same one, I think it's the last WAV to load correctly before the project corrupts). If the new file is longer than the WAV it actually places, you get a grey filler across the rest.

I've spent some time with Avid on this. They confirm these projects are referencing the wrong files, but they can't reproduce the importing WAV problem using my corrupted projects, suggesting that it's something system specific. I have trashed the database, but this hasn't helped. My current version is 12.4. If I import tracks from the corrupted project into a new one, the bug passes with it (only on specific tracks it seems - most tracks import fine, but if there is a file on a track that the session doesn't like, it passes the bug into the new project).

This bug is very similar to an existing problem which related to the "copy files in import" checkbox - when de-selecting and re-selecting, it would sometimes produce the same bug. However, in that case, importing via Workspace still worked, it was just a drag and drop from OS. A colleague and some others on the Post Production forum had that issue and some were Mac users. Thus far, I haven't found anyone else with these new more severe symptoms.

Having to use the lifeboat that is PT10HD quite a lot these days. If anyone has any other ideas to try or experienced similar issues, I'd love to hear from you.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 02-06-2016, 09:42 AM

Default Re: PT 12 corrupting projects and unable to import WAVs

Local drive? Guys I work with found an issue with some audio files working on high performance network drives (Isolon). They get weird pops in audio files printed to tracks that get renamed. When they close the session the files get corrupted (we think) because of "header" data when writing the new file with a new name. But it only happens on the shared network drive, not when the session is on a local drive and it only happens after the session closes down.

I know post houses often use network drives so I was wondering if that may be a factor.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:19 PM

I have had the same experience with the corrupt wav files. I believe my templates were being corrupted by PT12.4. These templates were originally created with PT9 years ago. I have never had any problems in PT9HD, PT10HD, PT11HD.

Last week I bought 2 new SSD drives, one for cutting and the other as a new boot drive. No problems yet.

I have not tried importing tracks from those old templates, because I am sure the problem will continue.

Are the wav files that you are trying to import mono(1 channel) or stereo(2 Channel)?
Old 02-07-2016, 02:51 PM

Thanks both of you. Cygnus, it's on (different) local drives.

Drags - that chimes with me. The projects use different templates, but it is possible they've all been modified and re-modified from originally being PT9. Can't be 100% sure of that, one may have been PT10.

The files can be either mono or stereo - same issue. The stereo can be added fun, sometimes they get offset as different L and R lengths.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-03-2016, 01:45 AM

Hi Guys,
I had the same problem just now
On PT12.6
Each time I try to Drag and drop a file from Workspace or Finder I get a different File on my time line.. The file 'X' I get Is one I imported Yesterday and I'm sure yesterday I did import other files after it... May be it's after the restart that the issue appeared ..
So to resolve it :
I made a save copy in
I took out some un needed Files but the 'X' File is still on the timeline ...
And for now the new copy is working well and I'm able to import...

========== Edit

I talked too Fast ...
In fact it's importing The Same 'X' file but this time it puts the name of the new one on it!!!

Gunna cry now!!
Old 12-03-2016, 02:54 AM

RESOLVED

Created a new session and imported all the tracks back ..
The 'X' file appeared to be missing... And Task manager wanted to look for it...
So I went on timeline and deleted it... then from the clip list...
And seems all is doing fine!

But that's a BUG @AVID!!!!
Old 12-03-2016, 03:30 AM

I still get this bug a lot. The only way I've found to fix it permanently (from any one session) is to open it and resave it on another computer - even importing tracks and looking for odd files didn't work for me. It's a relatively painless procedure - all I do is fire up PT12 on the MBP, load the corrupt session (no media, not all plugins), save it as a new file, and open that back up on the main rig. This is worked without exception every time, and the bug has never returned on that session.

I figured the root cause was me using an old and modified template which had picked up a bug, so earlier this year I designed a new template from scratch. Everything has been fine for me in my studio, but I have someone tracklaying a current series for me remotely. He uses my new template and has no issues, but every time I open his completed work I get the bug immediately. Every single time.

Just to re-itorate, I trashed all prefs and performed a clean install (indeed, over the summer I have a totally new C drive installed from scratch), and nothing helped. I spent a long time with Avid support on it, ending up with nothing but frustration - of course when they open the file it works, just as it does for me on my MBP. It's a right bugger. I'm resigned now to doing this fix for life, and even bought a 2nd hand vanilla license just for this purpose and speeding up the process. I so resented paying Avid for another full license, I figured out its possible to buy an unregistered M Box Micro and an upgrade from LE to 12 license on ebay, register the latter using the hardware number from the former, and voila - PT12 and a full year's subs for £150. Some perverse satisfaction for having only bought it to mitigate bugs...

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM