Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Wish Pro Tools can be used without Hardware.......

Yes I did my research before purchasing Pro Tools and know you cant use it without the hardware attached. For you einsteins out there.

But I wish I could just pop open my laptop when I am bored somewhere and just mix a song for one hot minute without having to attach anything. Im not saying to use professionally at that specific moment. But just to do a quick arrangement mix with my soundcard and laptop speakers. For example like Reason.

Im just saying that if you bought the software, a registered owner, etc, yada yada yada. You should be given the option to be able to use your soundcard if you want.

It be nice.

OO2r & Mbox2 owner

ps- dont mention the Mbox in your replay. Im just asking, cuz if they can do it for pro tools free why not for pro tools paid? As a owner, is it wrong to wish if i can use on my soundcard? But then again people still wishing for 48 tracks.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Wish Pro Tools can be used without Hardware...

wish in one hand and spit in the other and see which one fills up first:)

Old 10-26-2005, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Wish Pro Tools can be used without Hardware.......

Yeah join the list, but it aint gonna happen. IMHO I don't think it would be worth it, I'm sure we would see an increase in price due to piracy issues. If I really needed to I would buy an mbox solely for that purpose.. and youve got one sooo...
Adam
Old 10-26-2005, 08:31 AM

yea. if you coould be limited to just playback, editing, and arrangining that would be great.

Pentium4 (2.4Ghz)
Windows XP Home Edition (SP2)
80GB HD
1GB Ram
Digi002
Protools 7.0
Mackie HR-824's
Old 10-26-2005, 09:03 AM

Hello. The reason there isn't a software only of version of Pro Tools is that it would be the single most pirated software in audio, bar none. You mentioned Pro Tools Free. Have you noticed there isn't a version available for OSX or Windows XP? The main reason for that is that the minute they released the 8 track only Pro Tools Free, hackers had a 32 track version available. Unfortunately, there are too many people willing to use illegal software in this world and that is why Digidesign has (wisely in my opinion) up to now not released a software only version.

The best bet for this scenario with the laptop is a PCMCIA laptop card. That way, Digidesign can be assured no one will pirate their software and users can use their laptop without the Mbox, which for some reason some users find to weigh 1 million pounds and measure a mile. OK but seriously, for the life of me I can't understand why people think the Mbox is such a hassle, but to each their own.

P.S. For the record I own both an Mbox 2 and an Echo Indigo PCMCIA laptop card.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:10 AM

i always thought they could tie it to a smaller piece of hardware, like the iLok. you need it for your plugins anyway, might as well let you use that to authorize PT itself for a no-frills mixing/listening session.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:04 AM

Exactly what should be done.

Pentium4 (2.4Ghz)
Windows XP Home Edition (SP2)
80GB HD
1GB Ram
Digi002
Protools 7.0
Mackie HR-824's
Old 10-26-2005, 11:51 AM

Yes I was thinking in that direction. Just for playback and arrangement. Thats the limit. I just want to move my wavesamples around. And when you use the soundcard. You dont have access to the plug ins or midi with everything greyed out even.

I dont think the Mbox is a hassle. I am glad its even offered in that form. But If I was at library bored with headphone. Or at Panera Bread using wi-fi eating lunch. Or waiting for somebody in car. Or just laying in bed without having a umbilical cord attached to me fearing I might pull it to the ground.

I just though it be a nice option to use a built in sound card. Since I use a 3rd party program to do a final mix on my laptop sometimes. And I use my built in speakers which are not too shabby. If it sounds good on laptop speakers then bada bing bada boom, its ready for MP3 world if it ever goes down that road.

As for hackers or people who dont pay for software. I frown down upon them. Too much hassle to try to get hands on illegal software plus the threat of a computer virus, etc. I have enough trouble trying to authorize my free plug ins. I am type to pay for my stuff anyways.

And the idea of pirated software. Is that really as prevalent with pro tools as people want you to seem? If there is a 32 track pro tools free. I never heard of it, let alone have access to it. I really think there are more legit pro tools owners then 32 track pirate users.

Does anyone feel me on this? I like my Mbox. Dont get me wrong. Just an option to use the software, with everything limited but for the editing. Yah people are cheapscapes who want illegal cracked freebies out there but it will be offset by the new pro tool converts who usually sequenced on a keyboard or multi-track. Heck, I bought a OO2R & a New Mbox2 cuz I like the products. For every lost sale to a pirated software, theres a gain sale with people like me. It can be said I represent 2 customers since I bought 2 pro tools products.

bye.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:28 PM

As they say ...wishes are like .....

Anyhoo...

If you dont like it then use something else.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:39 PM

Quote:
As they say ...wishes are like .....

Anyhoo...

If you dont like it then use something else.
This was actually a pretty constructive, civil discussion up until just now.