Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2010, 03:05 PM

Default Studio Vision Pro, SampleCell TDM, Pro Tools Mix 5.1 on OS 8.6

When composing on Studio Vision 4.xx, routing SampleCell TDM through Pro Tools outputs using DAE is more stable on OS 8.6. So before I lose all my hair over this, can anyone tell me whether PT 5.1 works on OS8.6? Conversely does PT 4.x work with Pro Tools Mix cards?

Mac 9600,OS 9.1, 1Ghz G4 upgrade, 512Mb Ram, Pro Tools Mix3 w/ SampleCell TDM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Studio Vision Pro, SampleCell TDM, Pro Tools Mix 5.1 on OS 8.6

I'm assuming that the 9600 doesn't work with 9.2.2? That OS with PT 5.1.3 is the best for mix systems, I seem to remember a lot of important things were added at v5.1.1, but it still supports all of the older TDM plugins(many that were killed in the transition to OSX).

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:25 PM

Bobby, I'm not sure if you've resolved this yet, but I can confirm that PT4 works fine on Mix hardware. For what it's worth I use SVPro on a 9600/350 with Mix cards. I do so in both MacOS 8.6 and 9.1 (actually I don't think I've booted off the OS 8.6 partition for a couple of years though since I installed PT 5.1.3). I use a mix of PT 3.2, 4.3 and 5.1.3 depending on the plug-ins I want to use. All work absolutely fine, although I don't have Samplecell TDM installed right now. SVPro runs happily on all these DAE/DSI combos and it's all fairly stable.

I've experienced some instability in SVPro in complex bussing mixes with the 24bit mixer when utilising the PT5.1.3 engine, however that's not conclusive. It may have been down to other issues, like DSP. Let us know how it's working out for you..
Old 05-16-2011, 09:34 PM

SV Pro 4.2 or 4.5 on OS 8.6 and PT 5.1.3 (with related DAE/DSI) works, but must start DAE first, then open SV Pro. Otherwise, opening SV Pro first locks up when it tries to initialize DAE.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:13 AM

5.1 added stereo tracks.

Opcode had no opportunity to debug 4.5 because they went under (they quit in protest) most users went back to 4.2, and 4.2 if this helps does run perfectly with the acadia audio engine and digi direct io even on 9.2.2, don't know if it helps under the DAE --but 8.6 is the first native PPC (risk) OS -- 9.2.2 likewise is native RISK, just has the snafu extensions removed -- non PPC OS older inits. USB is inefficient on 9.2.1, some weird problem, it was fixed with 9.2.2. Opcode rewrote the Gold Master USB code for Apple. Probably Apple mangled it somehow when updating to 9.2.1

On a G-3 I preferred 9.1

Yeah, 4.5 Vision DSP came out when 8.6 was the current OS on the new world G-3 with USB and Firewire. Altivec's might be the problem. You may get better use out of a faster and last generation G-3 IBM chip. Although I am using a Quicksilver now with a G-4, just SVP and DIGI hardware (Acadia not DAE). There were some cs releases during that time for the DAE. You may have to setup a few different extension sets.

I think Apple's team went through 100k pages of code to do this amazing feat before they all quit when Jobs nailed 9 into a coffin on stage.

I run 4.2 SVP under the Acadia engine with 5.1 or 5.2.1cs11 no problems (but again not under the DAE). Try different DAE versions, I have most of them still, as I keep SVP running, firing it up often.

Just a note, DP 7.2 still supports the SDII file format. It will convert to broadcast wave or bwave 64.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:26 PM

SVP 4.2 or 4.5 under Acadia (not DAE) on OS 9.xx is good except you can't route SampleCell TDM output through and out of Pro Tools outputs. So I'm running OS 8.6 which allows SVP 4.x to run with DAE which in turn allows SamleCell TDM to output out of Pro Tools. But if DAE is the version required for Pro Tools 5.x, you have to boot up DAE first or else SVP locks up when initializing DAE.