Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2006, 09:40 AM

Default Help with levels...

OK, don't kill me!!! I don't know what I'm doing and need help.

I make records for a living and as a result have also done several live dvd's. I've just been told a 4 concert set is going to be broadcast, and have been given levels for delivery. The concerts have been mastered for CD and DVD delivery, but I don't know how to translate this to the specs given me. Any help would be appreciated!!!! BTW, the only meters I have are in PT - no outboard meters. Masters are going to DigiBeta. Here is what I was given:

Audio

• Audio must be recorded without any noise reduction system.

• Conversational dialog levels should be maintained between –4 to 0 dB VU (nominal).

• Maximum speech dynamic range from whispers to yells should not exceed -10 dB VU to + 3 dB VU.

• Nominal music levels should not exceed +0 dB VU with occasional momentary levels not to exceed +3 dB VU.

Thanks for helping someone who doesn't know anything about broadcast and post!!!

peace

mixboy

PTHD Ultimate/Eucon (latest betas) / Mac Studio Ultra 128GB RAM / Aja T-Tap / Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe 8TB / Focusrite 16Line / MTRX Studio / UAD Octo / 32 channel S1 & Dock (5) 2019 Fire HD 10 / Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 /Mastering Suite / 13.0 Sony 360RA
Old 06-13-2006, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Help with levels...

rent some good hardware meters (better yet buy some)
buy a SPL meter (cheap RS analog will do)

read the post on room calibration at the top of this section http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#529464

read the book: 5.1 Up and Running

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-13-2006, 10:24 AM

Sounds like you need to find out what 0VU is equal to. -20 dbFS, -18 dbFS, -12dbFS? This will make a pretty huge difference. As for meters, a Dorroughs outboard meter would be great. Otherwise, your plugin meter options are somewhat limited. Inspector XL is good, but is not available right now as far as I know. The PSP Vintage Meter could be an option if there's no budget. This sounds like a professional broadcast gig, though. Are you sure you want to fly solo on this one? Mixing music and mixing for post are two very different animals. Good luck either way.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:10 PM

Thanks All!!

Got it figured. I had read all above documents, as well as the Tom H. book. I have an SPL meter (the vintage RS analog!!! LOL!) and my room is calibrated. I just didn't have a reference level! Since I do music I stay at -18. I just got the call that it's -12, so I know where I'm headed. I've recalibrated the 192's and am using the VU's on my Focusrite Blue 230 for now. After re-checking my mix, everything sits within the parameters they gave me, so I'm good to go.

I know B'cast is a TOTALLY diff animal than music - I have no desire to do broadcast. This was a project I did specifically FOR DVD that the label ended up finding a broadcast venue and wanted to capitalize on it (and of course, they needed it NOW!) - I'm just trying to keep everyone happy, not enter a new field of work!

Thanks again for your help.

peace

mixboy

PTHD Ultimate/Eucon (latest betas) / Mac Studio Ultra 128GB RAM / Aja T-Tap / Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe 8TB / Focusrite 16Line / MTRX Studio / UAD Octo / 32 channel S1 & Dock (5) 2019 Fire HD 10 / Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 /Mastering Suite / 13.0 Sony 360RA
Old 06-13-2006, 04:03 PM

The Sony digibeta uses a -20dBfs reference.

Here in Oz, the VU meter is set at +4dBM equals 0VU.

So if you record tone that plays back from protools at 0VU, and set the digibeta inputs to
read the same OVU (about half way up the meter) on the front panel meters you should be right. Just make sure that the rest of your programme peaks out at OVU on your analogue meters!

As another check, we don't let any peaks go over -8dBfs.

hope this makes sense and helps

cheers,
John.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:46 PM

Absolutely makes sense, John! Thanks for another confirmation that I'm headed in the right direction! Most appreciated.

peace

mixboy