Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-19-2009, 07:29 PM

Default Quick stupid connection question Digi002-Rosetta 800-96kHz-S/MUX

I have a Digi002 (controller), and use an Apogee Rosetta 800 for A/D conversion. I typically record at 44.1/24, but want to try out 96kHz. This requires the Apogee to output via ADAT S/MUX.

The Digi002 does not have additional ADAT connectors, just one for input, one for output. I am assuming that the Digi002 can use its own converters at 96kHz but cannot use external converters at 96kHz because it doesn't utilize S/MUX, correct?

I just wanted to make sure and cannot find anything about this in the manual anywhere, and a quick search online hasn't produced anything useful, so I do realize that this is probably a stupid question, but I want to verify for certain.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Quick stupid connection question Digi002-Rosetta 800-96kHz-S/MUX

Crud, right after I post this, then I find somebody complaining about the same thing. Sorry.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=253040

Quote:
Dear Digi, why don't you make S/mux accessible to' all PT Le and M- Powered software?? It will be' a great improvement and helps dozens of professional that work on live scenarios. This limitations on Pt le and m-powered are bad for all the people that love to' work in studio with HDs and really like to' work outside Studios with a simple but powerfull system with a laptop and a rock-solid softrware like yours. Take a look, in a period where more manufacters of live consoles start to' use this protocol, and m-audio built a very nice tool like Lightbridge....take care of this request. Regards, Stefano
http://www.3daudioinc.com/3db/showthread.php?t=5429

Quote:
Unfortunately the Digi 002 doesn't suppor 96k over its lightpipe inputs. This is one of the most glaring omissions on that interface in my opinion. I have one as well, and even if they had supported SMUX for 4 96k channels over lightpipe I would have been happier! If the rosetta has a lightpipe output, you can use it as an additional 8 inputs but only at 44.1 or 48k. If you hear of any way around that limitation let me know although if anyone has found a way around it it's definitely a hack.
Use your ears, but I'm betting that the appogee converters will still be better than Digi's stock converters.
-Andrew
Quote:
Just to clarify (amixer), the 002 *will* do 96k via lightpipe. But only in s/pdif mode which is therefore two channels only.

Best regards,

Hb