Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2002, 02:45 AM

Default Aren\'t there any "Tool Tips" on mouseover in PT LE???

I just unwrapped my new PC based Carillon Audio Computer with ProTools LE and the digi 001.

I am trying to help my wife to get familiar with PT but to my dismay, there are no Tool Tips when you mouseover any of the buttons in PT.

I pray this is a setting I am missing somewhere. I can't imagine having to stumble around this program without a simple popup name or anything for all the buttons and functions when you mouseover them.

Please tell me this isn't so. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Help???

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2002, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Aren\'t there any "Tool Tips" on mouseover in PT LE???

no rollover tips.

tell me, is that thing as quiet as they say? or is it just hype? they claim its nearly dead silent...
Old 10-16-2002, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I can't imagine having to stumble around this program without a simple popup name or anything for all the buttons and functions when you mouseover them.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Do what I did. Put the manual in the bathroom and read it every time you sit down.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Yosemite OS
Old 10-16-2002, 08:08 AM

hahaha, Lol! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2002, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soundsurfr:
Do what I did. Put the manual in the bathroom and read it every time you sit down.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i'm usually too busy concentrating on matters at hand to read...
Old 10-16-2002, 10:31 AM

Quote:
tell me, is that thing as quiet as they say? or is it just hype? they claim its nearly dead silent...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, the Carillon is very quiet compared to my Dell and Gateway but not quiet enough for my Shure KSM32. I had intended to have the system rack mounted in the converted walk-in closet I am using for a studio but the fan was still getting picked up. So I ran the wires through the wall and had to locate it just outside the door. With a bit bigger space, I'm sure that the fan would fade away a bit more. The harddrive is very quiet though, not the usual crunching you get with other systems while processing.

I'm bummed there are no rollover tips in PT, oh well, learn the hard way,.. on the toilet I guess.

Thanks! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2002, 07:53 PM

i spent a lot of time and money researching and experimenting with noise reduction. i was mainly bamboozled by ads like carillon. they promise silence.

although i never used a carillon, i did a LOT to MY computer to make it silent. i found that it takes more than quiet p/s fans and quiet cpu fans to make a computer quiet. now, my computer is about 10% as loud as it was before i started, but by no means is it dead silent.

the noise level went down in a big way, but its a long way from silent. thats what made me think carillon's claims of silence are BS...
Old 10-16-2002, 08:04 PM

Quote:
i found that it takes more than quiet p/s fans and quiet cpu fans to make a computer quiet. now, my computer is about 10% as loud as it was before i started, but by no means is it dead silent.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Could you please share some tips?

Thanks

Jotown:)
Old 10-16-2002, 08:29 PM

sure... the main thing was not the fans or anything like that, it was insulating the case. you need to get this this stuff called dynamat extreme. its the same thing they insulate cars with those huge ghetto blasters with... it totally sucks out vibration from your computer case.

i learned that noise comes from 2 sources: real noise (from fan turbulance mostly) and sympathetic vibrations. insulation takes care of most of the vibrations. dynamat works great. put it everywhere inside and outside the case that you can.

real noise is another issue. you need really quiet fans for that. get the zalman fan. its really quiet. also, you can buy from www.directron.com this 12 volt to 5 volt converter. this will slow your fans down and make them quieter. also, panaflo fans are really quiet.

here's the kicker, though. all this work and expense is all for nothing - in my experience... the only thing that will truly make the computer DEAD SILENT is to isolate it completely from the recording room. that means you need an isolation case or install it in a closet or something.....

my setup is really really quiet, but its not DEAD SILENT and that's what i originally set out to accomplish.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:19 AM

Pop up tips. After reading the manual twice you won’t need them, however, I would prefer to have them. It’s a simple set of code to write. I was happy that SX had them, it makes thing much easier for my forgetfulness. The switch-over was much smoother than I thought it would be.

Carillon:

Paid for the computer and waited 2 MONTHS for it to arrive. When I finally got it they were already selling a much better computer for a considerably lower price.

Talk about getting SCREWED!!!!

They claim the extra price is for support.

The tech support never answers the phone, when they do they tell you it's the sound card, or software, that you installed and so they will not give you support on it.

They claim that the extra price is also for VST's that you get with the computer. But as it turns out it's only stuff that you can download for free.

They claim that you get a sample library and that is part of the extra cost.

The sample library is a complete JOKE!

The case is nice though as it is rather quiet. However, it is not quiet enough to warrant the extra $$$$$.

If I had it to do over again I would build my own. You can get build a quiet computer for much less, and you can use AMD to avoid the P4 problem.

And another thing, the keyboard and mouse they send you are ridiculous. They are both the worst I have ever seen. They had to be replaced immediately. They were really so bad they were unusable.

This also makes the whole key command sticker thing a waste of mo