Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2024, 04:18 AM

Default Mbox2 Mini v Mbox3 Mini STABILITY in Windows 11?

In summary - which is more stable in Windows 11 - Mbox2 Mini or Mbox3 Mini? (Both have dated drivers but Mbox3 Mini drivers are more recent..)

I'm using streaming software vMix on an i7 Haswell quad core HP PC, with 16GB ram and latest update of Windows 11 (Feb/March 2024).

I've been using an Mbox2 Mini for audio - it's basically a Balanced XLR Line Level out from the AUX of a mixing desk - into the Mic input on Mbox2 with the 20db pad engaged.

I installed the Mbox2 Mini drivers by 'right clicking' the inf files and all has been well on Windows 10 for over a year, but after 'upgrading' to Windows 11 on one occaision the inputs in Vmix overloaded - this was missed during the live stream but a reboot fixed it.

Either way, it made me wonder about using an Mbox3 mini (which I've been given) and using that instead? I tested the Mbox3 mini on a laptop and it took a while of going between an old Macbook and a Windows Laptop before the control panel actually allowed for the sample rate to be allowed to be changed.

During this time I checked posts/blogs on Mbox3 Mini and wasn't instilled with confidence.

So bascially - my choices are Mbox2 mini or Mbox3 mini - which have you found to be most stable in Windows 11.

I know this is outdated gear with a modern OS - but I though I'd ask.

Thnaks for any help or insight anyone can offer.

Old 03-02-2024, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Mbox2 Mini v Mbox3 Mini STABILITY in Windows 11?

I wish I could help with the problem being posted, and I realize this area is not meant for helping someone on this question, however I've been having trouble for a while trying to find someone that can help me connect a MIDI keyboard (Korg SP 250) to Protools. I've tried countless weeks, hoping to find someone that can show me how to use PT MIDI Studio so I can use the Keyboard for musical projects and useful synth projects, as well as Linking the
Korg SP 250 for multiple piano projects.

I hope someone can help me.

I hope to be able to return the favor to someone else soon!

Thanks,

Clint
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 32GB
Internal Hard Drives:
500GB= Programs
1TBGB= Audio
1tbGB= Samples/Back Up
External Hard Drives: Verbatim 1TB USB Drive
RME Fireface UFX Interface/Preamps
Pro Tools 2023
Focal CMS 65 Monitors
Avantones
Old 03-02-2024, 12:27 PM

You need a 5 pin midi cable and plug in from the 'midi out' of the Korg and into your audio interface 'midi in'. If you don't have a 5 pin input in your audio interface then you'll need a USB midi box (like an M-Audio Midi Sport 2x2).

Then you'll need to make an insturment track in Pro Tools and select a soft synth - unless you want to trigger the Korg, and that will mean another midi cable and speakers for the Korg etc.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:54 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
In summary - which is more stable in Windows 11 - Mbox2 Mini or Mbox3 Mini? (Both have dated drivers but Mbox3 Mini drivers are more recent..)

I'm using streaming software vMix on an i7 Haswell quad core HP PC, with 16GB ram and latest update of Windows 11 (Feb/March 2024).

I've been using an Mbox2 Mini for audio - it's basically a Balanced XLR Line Level out from the AUX of a mixing desk - into the Mic input on Mbox2 with the 20db pad engaged.

I installed the Mbox2 Mini drivers by 'right clicking' the inf files and all has been well on Windows 10 for over a year, but after 'upgrading' to Windows 11 on one occaision the inputs in Vmix overloaded - this was missed during the live stream but a reboot fixed it.

Either way, it made me wonder about using an Mbox3 mini (which I've been given) and using that instead? I tested the Mbox3 mini on a laptop and it took a while of going between an old Macbook and a Windows Laptop before the control panel actually allowed for the sample rate to be allowed to be changed.

During this time I checked posts/blogs on Mbox3 Mini and wasn't instilled with confidence.

So bascially - my choices are Mbox2 mini or Mbox3 mini - which have you found to be most stable in Windows 11.

Hi JazzyJ,

Both mbox2 and mbox3 not supported on Windows 11 and is only expected to work on Windows 10 or earlier and Mac Sierra or earlier OS.

Thanks

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 03-03-2024, 03:42 PM

Some thoughts on this:
1-as said, neither interface is supported(doesn't mean it won't work).
2-if you get either to work, consider yourself lucky and go about doing what you want/need to do.
3-Running a mixer output into either interface SHOULD come in on a TRS input(line level). The XLR input is designed for mic level, so its improper gain and impedance(the XLR output of the mixer is certainly line level).
4-FWIW, I have a Windows 11 setup(very old i7) with an Mbox 2 Pro(the firewire version of Mbox 2nd gen) and it works very nicely(even with the onboard FW port that uses a VIA chipset)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-11-2024, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post

I tried the Mbox 3 Mini and I couldn't get it to be found on the latest PT on Win 11. I tried the Micro Mbox 2 and it works on Win 11. Not sure that helps.