Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2023, 09:29 AM

Default Suddenly run out of cpu

So after(insane years of messing with these same songs) my computer started running out of cpu. Nothing has changed in these sessions except eq changes and compression changes over several years. I have been learning to mix like a pro on several songs now for several years (6). I am actually using fewer plugins now than ever before so I don't see how that could be a problem all of a sudden. Anybody got any suggestions. thanks
Old 07-16-2023, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Suddenly run out of cpu

You have to ask? The answer is always the same. Nobody here can guess what is going on you have to do standard troubleshooting.

Start by running all the standard troubleshooting steps under "Help Us Help You" up the top of every DUC web page. And double check *all* optimizations are done and have not been undone.

You should sort out fast if this is behavior specific to some sessions, or if it's more widespread. And either way, as always, you are going to suspect plugins, and all installed plugins, not just the plugins you are using in a session, so be sure to try the standard remove .aaxplugin plugin tests there.

And after you do that and if you still need help provide clear information...

What *exact* problems/errors are you having?

Provide a good description of your systems, Pro Tools versions etc. Include the expected SiSoft Sandra report since it's a PC. What interface and driver version? (since your signature lists three different ones).

Give some idea of the session size/complexity, what sample rate and H/W buffer size.

And what has changed? OS updates? Pro Tools updates? Plugin updates?
Old 07-17-2023, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Suddenly run out of cpu

When this happens to me, the first thing I do is check on what other apps may be running in the background.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com