Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2011, 09:57 AM

Default DAE error -9073

I'm getting this error message so often I can't work:

"DAE can't get enough audio from the drive(s) fast enough. Your drive may be too slow or fragmented, or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to the extra firewire bandwidth or CPU load. (-9073)"

I started getting blue screens over a month ago and I thought it was PT, but it turned out to be some kind of hardware problem. Long story short, they ended up replacing my hd, mobo, cpu, and power supply, all under warranty, so I assume everything was at least as good as what I started with. I got 8.0.4 installed and running, and it was working for a little while, but I just started getting this DAE error -9073. I never got it before I had all the hardware replaced; is it possible they gave me a bad harddrive or a much slower cpu? I'm trying to figure out if this is a hardware issue (which would mean I got f'ed by the Geek squad, Gateway, or both) or a software issue (PT only).

Any insight is appreciated! (I'm fairly new to PT and mainly do simple DIY bedroom recording)
Old 02-06-2011, 04:40 AM

Default Re: DAE error -9073

are u recording to u system drive..if so, that's properly your problem

"IMPORTANT! You MUST use a secondary hard drive (not your main OS drive) for recording and playback of audio in Pro Tools. Recording or playback from the OS drive is known to be problematic and the cause of many different error types. If you are using your system drive and encountering errors, the first thing you should do is get a compatible drive. USB drives are not supported and are known to be problematic, so please do not use them with Pro Tools. If you're recording or playing back from a USB drive and are getting errors in Pro Tools, please switch to using a compatible external firewire drive or internal SATA/ATA/IDE drive and disconnect the USB drive.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uller View Post
are u recording to u system drive..if so, that's properly your problem

"IMPORTANT! You MUST use a secondary hard drive (not your main OS drive) for recording and playback of audio in Pro Tools. Recording or playback from the OS drive is known to be problematic and the cause of many different error types. If you are using your system drive and encountering errors, the first thing you should do is get a compatible drive. USB drives are not supported and are known to be problematic, so please do not use them with Pro Tools. If you're recording or playing back from a USB drive and are getting errors in Pro Tools, please switch to using a compatible external firewire drive or internal SATA/ATA/IDE drive and disconnect the USB drive.
This requires a bit more info. USB drives are not supported under Windows XP or Vista. HOWEVER, USB2 drives ARE supported with Windows 7(where firewire drives are actually NOT recommended). I assume your computer is a laptop? If yes, then you should know that laptops USUALLY have 5400 rpm drives and are totally unsuited for recording(at least beyond 2-4 tracks). You could gain a little boost by replacing the drive with a 7200 rpm drive(its easy to clone your system drive to make the swap), but ultimately you do want a separate hard drive for recording(and it MUST be 7200 rpm, so no "green" drives allowed). If your machine is a desktop computer, then it probably has room inside for more internal drives, which will cost the least and give the best performance.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 AM

It's a desktop actually, and yes it looks like the hd is 5400 rpm. What I'm confused about is that before I had all the stuff replaced, my PT was running like a champ and I never had this issue (I was recording well over 10 tracks of both imported stereo tracks and recorded tracks). Do you think if I just installed a second hd just for recording and made sure it was 7200rpm this problem would go away? The only reason I'm skeptical of this solution is that it was running great before on (supposedly) the same hardware setup. Could it be related to my installation? Would a re-install possible solve it?
Old 02-06-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architeuthis View Post
It's a desktop actually, and yes it looks like the hd is 5400 rpm. What I'm confused about is that before I had all the stuff replaced, my PT was running like a champ and I never had this issue (I was recording well over 10 tracks of both imported stereo tracks and recorded tracks). Do you think if I just installed a second hd just for recording and made sure it was 7200rpm this problem would go away? The only reason I'm skeptical of this solution is that it was running great before on (supposedly) the same hardware setup. Could it be related to my installation? Would a re-install possible solve it?
Well, Pro Tools requires a separate 7200 rpm hard drive for recording. So starting by meeting the requirements is the best first step. Adding another internal drive is easy and cheap(a 500gb WD Caviar BLACK drive can be had on sale for about $59 from newegg). Personally, I would not use ANY 5400 rpm drive in a desktop machine. The only reason I leave one in my laptop is; they are easier on the battery.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:39 AM

Question Re: DAE error -9073

I put a new 1 TERRAbyte 7200 rpm internal HDD and got a 2 TERRAbyte external 7200 rpm HDD got a 939 cpu ; the internal and external are both new and I am getting a 9073, XP is my OS
Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
You could gain a little boost by replacing the drive with a 7200 rpm drive(its easy to clone your system drive to make the swap).
If I used Acronis to clone my system drive in order to put in on a new WD Caviar Black, would I still need to re-install everything (windows, PT, etc) or would they be on the image?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell1532 View Post
If I used Acronis to clone my system drive in order to put in on a new WD Caviar Black, would I still need to re-install everything (windows, PT, etc) or would they be on the image?
B1gun, please start your own thread and include a Sandra report(or nobody can really help). As to Acronis, if you use it to clone your system drive to a new drive, you should not need to re-install anything. There are a few plugins that lose their authorization(IK Multimedia for one). So you need to re-authorize those with the proper code. Usually a simple email to IK tech support will net you a new code.(just explain that you have re-installed the plugins on a new hard drive).