Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2004, 10:06 PM

Default How much power does HD1 have?

Sorry all, I'm sure this is a topic which has been discussed many times here, but I tried searching a bit and couldn't turn anything up. I'm looking at upgrading my LE system as I start getting mixing jobs which require more plugs than I can get with RTAS. I recall at some point in the past reading a post where someone said they regularly ran out of processing with their HD1 system, so I'm wondering if HD is the way to go because an HD1 is all I could afford at this point. So I'm wondering what type of power I should expect with just the Core card - could I run a mix of roughly 40 audio tracks, about 10 stereo busses with EQ and compression on each, probably 3 different verbs, 2 or 3 amp-modeling plugs, and comp/gate/eq/delay/etc. on 2 or 3 vocal tracks? This is what I need to be able to do, and LE isn't cutting it right now. If that's possible, at what point (in terms of additional plugs) would you expect the system to max out? Thanks all!

james
Old 03-16-2004, 11:19 AM

Default Re: How much power does HD1 have?

well you can always use the processor RTAS plugins plus the HD card.
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 03-16-2004, 12:15 PM

An used Mix plus + DSP Farm or a mix plus cubed will give you much more power...

I would not go into an HD1 at this moment. If you can wait a little, save some money and go to an used HD2 Original Formula or later, HD2 Accel.

Also, you know you can always print your efx and keep the original tracks, hidden/disabled inside you session, saving voice count.

Hey, I do not work for Digi, ok?
Hope it helped ya

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:47 PM

i asked the same question and bought an HD1 and 6 months later bought a 2nd card when the prices dropped with the Accel release. i would go for a HD2 Accel, just to get the Accel card and triple your power.

look at the HD1 this way, you have 9 chips. a small mix takes up 2 chips, a large mix chip will get you 3. your reverb plugs will probably eat up 3 more chips in any scenario. here's the booger. each plugin company gets there own chip. so of the remaining 4, you should probably allocate 2 for waves... let's say 1 for a few BF 1176 and now you're trying to find room for the special EQ or compressor plug-in you want to use. do you really want to spend time managing your DSP? and that's all assuming you stay at 44.1.

and don't bother with a MIX system. i do alot of live mixing and most of it is tracked at 44.1. i upsample most of the time to 88.2, simply because it sounds that much better.

--
lance