Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2017, 04:36 PM

Default Instrument Track Routing

Hello Everyone.

I am having some trouble (as a newbie) with my setup. Pro Tools 10.3.7

1. When I insert an instrument plugin I do not hear it using my Yamaha P-45 even with Record Enable activated. The P-45 is connected directly to the computer via USB and not to the Focusrite 18i8. I created the P-45 in Options/Studio Setup.

2. When I load/insert an instrument plugin (on an instrument track) and then attempt to choose that instrument/insert under the output of the Instrument there is nothing there....I am confused.

Again, I am a newbie and that is probably 90% of my problem. I have spent countless hours on YouTube and have downloaded many many video etc. but to no avail. Please help!

Intel Core i7-2620 @ 2.7 | 8 GB RAM | 64-Bit OS | Windows 10 Pro | Pro Tools HD 10.3.7 | Scarlet Focusriste 18i8 | Yahama P-45 Keyboard

Last edited by BJCMusic; 09-04-2017 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Including System/Gear
Old 09-04-2017, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Instrument Track Routing

Hmmm, are you creating a STEREO Instrument track?(this works dandy here and has for years). By default, an instrument track will receive from any available midi(as long as its set correctly in Midi Studio) and as soon as you insert your VI plugin(always use the top insert slot A), the routing should be done by default

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-04-2017, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Instrument Track Routing

Well I am confused by what you are confused by.

"...that instrument/insert under the output of the Instrument there is nothing there....I am confused."

Post a screen shot of exactly what exactly is not working as you expect.

I can't tell if you actually have

1. A VI inserted in an instrument track OK or not (if not then Tom's advice may well fix this, or if no VIs show up at all you may have forgotten to install them).

or

2. if you are somehow expecting to see the instrument appear as an option the track IO output pulldown selector... you won't that is just the audio output for your interface or a bus that gets there.

or

3. You are not seeing/hearing an output. "there is nothing there..." like no meters move?

A clear description and screen shots will help. Start by working with the Mini Grand VI and get that working.