Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 02-07-2011, 09:44 PM

Default Jake E. Lee's 'Bark at the Moon'

Hey all,

At a request over on elevenrackpresets.com, I've tried my hand at making a Jake E. Lee "Bark at the Moon' rig. I named the rig 'Jake E. Lee', and you can download it at this link...

http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/Details/387.html

I started off looking for a backing track off of the internet, and I found one that I'm guessing is from a Guitar Hero game, cause it sounds like the real deal but with the guitars removed (except for the rhythm guitars that are under the solos).

I always really dug this tune, but for as long as I've been playing, I've never learned to play it.....soooooo.....I spent about 30 minutes giving myself a crash course playing the song on my ipod over and over, working out the chord changes. When I felt semi-comfortable with the structure of it, I laid down the rhythm guitars straight down in one take. I then put the solos down (turning on the JRC distortion and flanger), just doing my interpretation on what Jake was playing. So they are not note-for-note, but I hope I got the feel right!

And right when the solo is ending at about 2:46, you can hear the backing track rhythm guitar end and where mine picks up right after it, so that point can give you a good comparison as to how close (or far away) the rig sounds to the real deal.

So keep in mind, that I did this whole thing in about an hour, so there are mistakes and rough spots, but this was all intended to give an example of the rig....not showcase my lack of skills , so please...be kind

I hope I didn't waste your time too much, but I DID have fun doing it!

And yes....I DID notice that after I bounced the track down, the solo is too friggin LOUD! OOPS....Sorry fer that

edit: I just listened to the soundclip, and I am not happy with the way it sound thru my computer's speakers, cause it sounded a TON better thru my M-Audio BX5a's! I may have recorded it a little too hot and it's peaking too much

You can check out the soundclip here...http://soundcloud.com/mikefont/bark-at-the-moon

If you want the backing track, you can find it here...http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/pl...on_%283%29.htm

Hope ya like it
Mike

Oh yeah, for those of you who are interested, I used the SLO-100 Drive amp with the Celestion 30's cab, Dyn 7 mic on axis. I set the flanger with a really slow sweep for the solo (I wasn't sure if Jake used a phaser or flanger, but it has that flanger sound...but I could be off there)...and a little reverb and the EQ pedal on.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Jake E. Lee's 'Bark at the Moon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefont View Post
I spent about 30 minutes giving myself a crash course playing the song on my ipod over and over, working out the chord changes. I DID notice that after I bounced the track down, the solo is too LOUD! OOPS....Sorry fer that
Sounds Good! Mikefont. Wow! just 30 minutes, it will take me to do that whole day or more. For me, loud is always better. Awesome
Old 02-08-2011, 05:22 AM

I just bit the head off of a bat & I hope I don't get rabies now........

Thanks Mike....Thanks........Lol

Dude, I lOVE this!

+1
Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 AM

Thanks bros! For something that I rushed thru to get finished up, I really appreciate that. It was fun, and I think I have a new cover tune that I'm gonna unleash at our next band practice

You guys ROCK!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:53 AM

Sweet
Old 02-08-2011, 11:59 AM

I think you did a great job of nailing Jakes blazing tone. Love the Soldano model

I never seen that backing tracks site. I had a blast cranking up the Reinhardt Super High Gain and playin for a few hours. I didn't get to bed untill 6AM :)

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Thank you gentlemen...you are too kind indeed!

Yep, once I found that backing tracks site, I started downloading a ton of em to play around with! And I totally get the "having too much fun, going to bed at 6am" part! And my old lady HATES it!!!!

And for those of you who are interested, the rig has now posted up.

You can download it here if you like...
http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/Details/387.html

Old 02-08-2011, 01:43 PM

Any Badlands fans in the room?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-09-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Any Badlands fans in the room?
Hellz yeah! Their first album was phenomenal!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefont View Post
Hellz yeah! Their first album was phenomenal!

I agree. It was also something like a 4 day project

I will admit that I love The Last Time beyond any sane reason.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page