How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-17-2020, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Track Folders Are Here .. !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIXT View Post
Does anyone know how the folder tracks will behave on a control surface ? Will they fold and unfold on the control surface as they do on screen ?

Btw I really hope D-command and D-control will still work with this version...
Looks like they do I think, from this video:

https://youtu.be/jo0Cr108UKQ

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 01-17-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
Folder tracks *better* be part of permanent license holders updates or I will have paid my last renewal.
Someone be clear that this is not a subscription "Free" add on like the "free" plug-ins that disappear for perpetual licenses once out of renewal?
Old 01-17-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Someone be clear that this is not a subscription "Free" add on like the "free" plug-ins that disappear for perpetual licenses once out of renewal?

Trust is a helluva thing to lose from your paying customers, isn't it AVID? Especially when you have savvy and experienced competition, like UA with its free DAW for all new and current interface customers. UA Smells blood.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:57 AM

Sounds like a good implementation to me. Looking forward to it.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
Trust is a helluva thing to lose from your paying customers, isn't it AVID? Especially when you have savvy and experienced competition, like UA with its free DAW for all new and current interface customers. UA Smells blood.
Yeah, I'm sure that DAW has EVERY single feature Pro Tools users have been whinging about... right?
Old 01-19-2020, 03:17 AM

Maybe it would be on renting like they do with voices.

What trust can you have in a company that only wear suits and all you see is comerciales and give to the big guys everything for free just to influence people who pay for everything. Every big guru stay with Avid because they give it all for free, of course big names will say their relationship with Avid is great. We are so blind.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:41 AM

We (I) need clip folders.
It's so essential for post.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_studio View Post
We (I) need clip folders.
It's so essential for post.
Not having had a way to organise the clip list for decades (after leaving AudioVision) I must say I can't image how simple "folders" in the clip list would help us in post. Are we then going to manually sort the trillions of auto-created regions by categories? Or maintain those folders inside PT? Are we really?
Unless AVID integrates something as powerful as soundminer into PT I have little hope for this. To be honest I haven't looked into the clip list in years other than to select and get rid of unwanted offline files and other low level maintenance work.
I've found "peace" (actually resignation would be the better word) with PT not having a way to structure the work other than piling up tracks and more tracks. Heck, even our markers are dummy groups on tracks!

So folder tracks will help a lot. Probably more than folders in the clip list..

Unless they come up with something more clever like bins and sequences inside bins and a way to organise an entire project (like in MediaComposer) and not just have this the session-is-the-project system I couldn't be less interested in folders in the clip list.

I think even if they introduced folders in the clip list tomorrow I wouldn't know what to do with them unless you can search inside single ones or a combo of them or have them contain groups of more complex sequences or edit a clip before it lands on a track.

I see PT as an advanced tape machine with a virtual mixing console. Yes it's a non-linear DAW but it's probably the most linear of them all. At least from post-production person's perspective.

For me the only way to work in PT is: If it's not on tracks, it basically doesn't exist. Everything else is down to structuring your data on finder level and bins in soundminer.

Not saying that this is a good thing but I don't know how folders in the clip list would change that. Do people actually use the catalogues in PT? I don't know a single sound editor in post who does but maybe they exist.

Honest question: what are you all (people in post) actually going to do with those folders in the clip list? If they are so essential how could we all come this far without them? And would they really make a big difference?

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 01-19-2020 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
So folder tracks will help a lot. Probably more than folders in the clip list..
Obviously depends on what are you working with. Say you have few hundred clips on your folderless clip list, it is a disaster. In that case you would kill for a way to organize them in any other way than renaming them like A-clip1, A-clip2, B-clip1, B-clip2 etc
Old 01-19-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Obviously depends on what are you working with. Say you have few hundred clips on your folderless clip list, it is a disaster. In that case you would kill for a way to organize them in any other way than renaming them like A-clip1, A-clip2, B-clip1, B-clip2 etc
And every time you make a cut you open the clip list and sort the new region to a folder? And what kind of info does the folder give you when you look at those clips all named clip1, clip1-01, clip-02, clip-01-02.
Will you manually name them all?

In no time you'll have the same millions of auto-created meaningless regions there essentially giving you the chaos we have now but sorted into folders containing another sub-chaos. Sure you could have categories like "Chaos of car sounds" or "chaos of ADR edits" or "chaos of whooshes".

Not sure if folders alone are actually a step ahead if they are simply clips lists inside a clip list.

Don't get me wrong. I get the frustration and desire for "sections" in the clip list but I think simply adding folders are not going to cut it. A deeper overhaul of the project structure is needed to make such folders useful.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 01-19-2020 at 07:49 AM.