Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-02-2002, 09:51 PM

Default Crisis... I need to know it all now. Ram Questions. CPU Questions. Please.........

I was just told that more Ram will not increase my plug in count. I need to hear from a few experienced and knowledgeable sources. I was under the assumption that "the more Ram..... the more plug-ins you'll be able to handle". I just ordered two 256 Ram chips to go along with my already two 128 MB Ram chips. Am I waisting my money? Is RD Ram just not all it cranks up to be or does it suck and is worse then regular Ram? I'm ready to kick Dell "Square in the nuts" - Eric Cartman

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JMS40:
You've answered your own question. Yes, plugs tax your CPU and more ram will not change that. Generally, the faster your CPU, the more plugs you'll get to play with; however, users here have shown that, at least for now, P4's are the exception and are performing less than expected for their muscle power. How about more specifics on the sessions that are giving you the buffer errors... How many tracks and plugs?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-02-2002, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Crisis... I need to know it all now. Ram Questions. CPU Questions. Please.........

Take that 128MB stick out and just use the two 256MB sticks that are coming. It is more a problem with Windows right now on handling more than 512MB. No you probably will not see much of an increase in track counts as this is more a function of the processor. 512Mb should give you a more stable system though.
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2002, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Crisis... I need to know it all now. Ram Questions. CPU Questions. Please.........

Allen.... I've always appreciated your advice... but this time. I need you to lie to me. Tell me that this RAM I ordered will allow me to use more plug ins. Even if it's a lie.... I need to hear that right now....*sigh* [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Pro-Tools sucks.....
Old 01-02-2002, 10:09 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Target Earth Ent:
Pro-Tools sucks.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, it doesn't.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:13 PM

Lie to me darlin' <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Target Earth Ent:
[QB]Allen.... I've always appreciated your advice... but this time. I need you to lie to me. Tell me that this RAM I ordered will allow me to use more plug ins. Even if it's a lie.... I need to hear that right now....*sigh* [QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-02-2002, 10:17 PM

lol... I know Pro-Tools doesn't suck. but umm... incorporating into my studio has been far more of a headache then it has been a pleasure. I'm still waiting for the fruit of my labor. Perhaps months down the line I will feel that it was worth the pain. I really thought more Ram meant more plug ins. Allen says the Ram will give me a more stable system. But the only stability my current system is lacking is the ability to use a tad more plug ins without running out of Cpu and system power. I NEED MORE PLUG INS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK.... I'm calm again...
that kinda felt good
Old 01-02-2002, 10:22 PM

Ok,
So you have the case, keyboard, mouse and monitor. NOw all you need to do is buy one of those new A7V266E or GA7DXR motherboards and pop in the new XP2000+ processor and you are set. Oh yea, return that ram for DDR ram too.
I lost my last 7 girlfriends because I wouldn't lie to them. Sorry my friend, it only prolongs the agony.
Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2002, 10:48 PM

KeheeheeHEE!!! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] (You guys kill me...)
Old 01-03-2002, 12:28 AM

TE CEO,
Pro Tools shouldnt be giving all the trouble it is, your problem is using an unsupported computer. In liu of a new computer, one thing to consider is using dedicated hardware for reverb. You see, not all plug ins consume cpu equally, the reverb being the big offender here.

And, lets say XP support comes by february...
Then get a dual athlon motherboard, the tyan tiger mp, and throw in 2 athlon mp's run PT with windows xp pro and you will not be worrying about plugz.

Now, as the owner of a 001, finances permitting, you still need more horsepower I suggest you try running logic audio with your 001 and try using the uad-1, powercore, or pulsar xtc dsp cards.
There is also the korg oasys pci now selling for a whopping $299, cut down from $1,600.(just hook it p to the 001's lightpipe).

DIgidesign isnt the most PC friendly company. They arent the most friendly company period. But their stuff is solid.
One thing to be learned however is that number 1 isnt always the best number.
For instance dell...oh what ****** box's they hawk, poor service. And then you have the 001. I really wish I'd have just gotten a pulsar 2 card instead(since I use synths and samplers wich it offers running off the cards dsp, better sounding converters and less latency etc).
And of course Intel bites the big one, and while were at it, so does microsoft.
Okay, sorry, just had to get al that off my chest, back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Old 01-03-2002, 12:50 AM

C'mon ernesto, don't sugar coat it. . . how do you really feel?

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]