Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2019, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Major file loss on windows 10 rig

BTW, the freezer trick is for spinners(its an SSD that has the problem) and yes, I have used that and it did actually work one time

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-29-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
BTW, the freezer trick is for spinners(its an SSD that has the problem) and yes, I have used that and it did actually work one time
Good to know, Dave - thanks.
I've read spinners are "more reliable" for external Session drives - but SSDs blitz it for C: drives and external Samples drives.

I'm sure our collective hearts sank when we read your plight - here's to a way better 2020 - (get Thee behind me, 2019!)

Is it worth cloning (see Darryl's suggestion) and trying Piriform's Recuva on the clone, to attempt to find the remaining "missing bits"?
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 12-30-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Good to know, Dave - thanks.
I've read spinners are "more reliable" for external Session drives - but SSDs blitz it for C: drives and external Samples drives.

I'm sure our collective hearts sank when we read your plight - here's to a way better 2020 - (get Thee behind me, 2019!)

Is it worth cloning (see Darryl's suggestion) and trying Piriform's Recuva on the clone, to attempt to find the remaining "missing bits"?
Amen on 2020 Until I get thru the current rebuild of the sessions, I'm reluctant to try the format of the drive. Having said that, EaseUS Data Recovery found nearly everything(though some files are corrupt) while Recuva missed a good 50% of what got lost. I guess that's the difference between a free product and one you pay for(EaseUS is $69 for 1 month). EaseUS is also a subscription, but since it did its job as good as it's going to, I will just not renew

Re SSD being better or worse than spinners, I suspect that's old thinking as they have gotten really solid in recent years. Early on, there was talk of limited writing to SSD's, but I think that's been worked out. I am much more suspect about some kind of worm. AVG didn't find anything, but another product did(but of course, the other product would not clean anything until you paid for it).

I should have things recovered within the next week, at which point, I can give the format/recover method a go. All the ideas and support are greatly appreciated

Old 12-30-2019, 10:14 AM

Glad you are making good progress on finding/recovering the files. It would have been a nightmare if you had to re-mix and edit everything.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:01 PM

Just a final followup for those that have been watching. The trick of doing the quick format, followed by running Recuva was a big bust. I didn't write any data to the drive since using EaseUS Data Recovery on it and I'm pretty sure I retrieved as much as could be under the circumstances. This was a tough lesson, but not as tough as it might have been. Now, everybody rush out and back up everything that matters

Old 12-31-2019, 07:00 PM

I'm sorry for your troubles, Dave.
I'm sittin' here watching cnn new year show, anderson cooper getting drunk, and among all the crayziness, don lemon in nashville. You're the only one I "know" in nashville,...
I don't know, I just want to wish you a happy new trouble-free year.

Oh, and they just had a live interview from SF whit greatful dead.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I'm sorry for your troubles, Dave.
I'm sittin' here watching cnn new year show, anderson cooper getting drunk, and among all the crayziness, don lemon in nashville. You're the only one I "know" in nashville,...
I don't know, I just want to wish you a happy new trouble-free year.

Oh, and they just had a live interview from SF whit greatful dead.
Hah! Thanks for that! But I'm not in TN anymore. Now in CT(but you still "know" me)

Old 01-02-2020, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Major file loss on windows 10 rig NEW INFO

I found that the trick with Recuva was to let it grind for hours doing the deep scan. I got back everything that was lost when the wrong disk got reformatted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-02-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
I found that the trick with Recuva was to let it grind for hours doing the deep scan. I got back everything that was lost when the wrong disk got reformatted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I did this. It came back with less than running it before the quick format(actually, way way less)

Old 01-28-2020, 08:40 AM

I'm curious about which build of Win10 this happened on. I'm running 1909 and have had one basically new drive suddenly refuse to mount and sessions that were recovered from it had a number of corrupt audio files (noise blasts). Likely a bad drive but I've had some corrupt audio files here and there in other sessions. Never had this happen in many years of running Win7. Plus some odd things about the OS in general (on different rigs). I've heard some other scary stories so I'm not feeling good about Windows 10 right now. Multiple backups...