Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2020, 10:05 PM

Default Flipping main and sub counter

Hello all, I finally sat down today to hunt down a keyboard shortcut for an action I do quite a lot and discovered I couldn't find one. I'm hoping I missed it because I didn't name things correctly but I suspect it doesn't exist. So does anyone know of a keyboard shortcut to do this:

The task - to change the main counter and therefore the grid of ProTools from Bars|Beats to Timecode so I can scrub by bars or by frames easily.

What I'm doing now - I currently go to the Main Counter in the edit window and change to Bars|Beats / TC as necessary but this is very slow and I often miss what I am aiming for. Plus it always takes me a second to think about what I am doing and which option I need from the list that is more than just Bars|Beats / TC.

What I would like to do - Find the keyboard shortcut (or some simpler way) to flip the main Counter with the SubCounter. They are always one of two time domains (either Bars|Beats or TC) so being able to flip at the stroke of a key would be ideal

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-27-2020, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Flipping main and sub counter

1. An iPad running EuControl could give you a closer pallet.
2. Show transport floating window and switch at counter there
3. Maybe window configs could help.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:53 AM

I don't have a way to toggle back and forth with a single shortcut, but I created macOS shortcuts for both Bars|Beats & Timecode. Switching timebase effectively switches Main and Sub counters, as well as Grid and Nudge if Follow Main Time Scale is on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 9.51.48 AM.jpg (49.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-27-2020, 08:50 AM

You could do this quite nicely with a couple of buttons in Metagrid if you've got an iPad sitting around.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 08-27-2020, 09:38 AM

It'd be nice if there was just a shortcut on a normal keyboard though wouldn't it.

(See also : delete track, rename track, enable elastic audio, etc etc etc)
Old 08-27-2020, 02:03 PM

So good news! I think I have found a way to create a shortcut. Since I have a Dock I remembered that there were shortcuts settings/buttons on it and wondered if that would work. And it does (for the most part). There is a Eucon shortcut that toggles what that main counter is with the other displayed rulers and in this case since I only have TC and Bars|Beats it toggles between those. Good enough for me. It doesn't flip the sub and main counters but it does accomplish my main goal which is to be able to scrub footage by frame and then by Bar.

For anyone else curious you obviously need to have a dock, or I guess a mobile device with the control software running on it. And change one of the softkeys (or in my case I changed the softkeys that show up pervasively at the bottom of the screen) to Delete current -> add new -> Eucon -> Rulers -> Main Counter Mode and you are done.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!