Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-14-2017, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Best control surfaces for PT12

Very happy Artist Mix user. I often have to dub with large D Command desks, I'd far rather just lay a single Artist Mix over them to be honest - following me as I move round the DAW is wonderful. Have never once missed a jog/shuttle, or need transport - the spacebar and the mouse is far quicker imo. Have spent today trialling the Control app with it - its come on very well, but honestly still can't see a real practical use for it in my case.

PT 2020 Ultimate; W10 Pro; i7 7820X; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Old 01-15-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
can anyone with an S3 explain how plug in control works? For instance if I open an L2007 can I control it's paramaters with knobs rather than the mouse without having to touch anything else? Or do you have to change the mode on the desk? Cheers
Hi Weezul,

For the most part yes. A large part of having the surface work with plugins is having the plugin developer ensure they specify parameters, etc. to work with the interface. All of the plugins I've used thus far work well with the rotary encoders, just like knobs on a unit. You can also flip and use the faders if you so choose.

Computer: Custom Built PC
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Z270X-Gaming 7
CPU: i7 7700k
MEM: 16GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 3000
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Extreme
DAWs Pro Tools 12.7.1
Interface: Universal Audio
Preamps: Focusrite, Universal Audio
Outboard Processors: Universal Audio
Control Surfaces: AVID S3, Pro Tools | Control + Pro Tools | Dock
Old 01-15-2017, 05:16 AM

I run 3 artist mix and 2 artist control in 3 rooms
Eucon working very well for me.
Love being able to have vca faders locked and the rest following selection (not in hui)
Overall the build is cheap and plastic but they work and get the job done. Faders are ok not great but they are fast enough to mix with. If I were to get just 1 it would be the mix even if I love the custom soft keys that give you access to functions that you don't have in PT (back and play for instance )

Am trying out protools dock.

Bought a Qcon and hated it.
Flimsy build, horrible software . It's so bad I would feel guilty trying to sell it.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2017, 09:31 AM

So after checking multiple units, I ended up going with the Mackie MCU pro. There's no flip faders to plugins unfortunately, but other than that I'm quite happy with it. It just feels built to last with a nice metal chassis, it's expandable, and will work perfectly if I have to use other DAWs in future projects.

And if my studio starts getting major projects then I can think about a larger Avid console :)
Old 01-19-2017, 09:09 AM

Apollo as main audio interface, with good old trusty Digi 003 as control surface only. Load PT, choose 003 as playback device, then change it to Apollo. 003 control surface facilities continue to work ... Faders, Fader flip, knobs for controlling pan, and plugin parameters, send levels etc, buttons for many things, transport, scrub etc etc.

Plus MOTU PCI-e 24io and 2408mk3 as audio interface on same computer to run Cubase or Logic for midi, synced to PR running audio. 003 control surface trick works with motu interfaces too.

Not HUI emulation or eucon, just 003's own dedicated PT support with audio facilities not in use.
Pro Tools 2020.3, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 10.5, Wavelab Pro 10, Logic Pro X 10.4.8, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 01-19-2017, 09:27 AM

Anyone trying a presonus faderport 8 yet??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com
twitter // instagram // facebook // imdb
------------
PT Ultimate 2018.7, Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 3.46, 24Gb RAM, Mac OSX 10.12.6fd, SSD boot drive, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native PCIe, Apogee DA-16X, Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1