Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-06-2008, 09:51 PM

Default I need a MIDI file expert.....

I have a friend ( lives 2 hrs away) using Nuendo and wants to send me "oms or broadcast wave files" so that a MIDI track can be recorded at my studio on Pro Tools 7.1.1 Macintosh OSX 10.4. Later, we will drop them in at his studio for a good mix and master session. This is easier than travelling back & forth for so many tracks...

He says the time code in the file will help us line up the track very easily. I have never used a track like this. Will pro tools open the track, and is there any tips or tricks I should know?

THANKS!!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 PM

Default Re: I need a MIDI file expert.....

You mean OMF! Get Translator, to open OMF files. is the only way to exchange files between app!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:14 PM

Do you mean digi translator- does that come with Pro Tools LE / Digi 002?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:16 AM

No. It's part of the DV Toolkit which is a paid upgrade/extra.

You're post is a little confusing (to me at least). Nuendo man wants to send you BWAV so you can record Midi?

Do you want to program midi parts to run alongside (Nuendo) audio that's already recorded? If so, get him to consolidate the audio into 1 full project length audio file starting at bar 1.

If there are tempo changes, you'll need a midi file by way of a tempo map.

Import these into PT and you should be good to go.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 02-07-2008, 01:38 PM

Thanks Phil...

You guessed it, we want to do the MIDI keyboard ( at my place, Pro Tools )and drop it back in to Nuendo with the band's original tracks.

None of the songs have an exact BPM or click track, we just want to line up the midi tracks with ease. So one giant track sounds like a neat idea. Could u drop in markers that both programs recognize?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:38 PM

Any song markers are usually included as part of the exported midi file. Thus should show up on import.

The Nuendo project will have been recorded at a tempo of somekind. It doesn't matter it's not an exact multiple of whole bpm's but you must know what it is so that the PT session can be set-up similarly. Otherwise the audio for your keyboard overdubs will not sync to the existing Nuendo audio when imported back. Obtaining a midi file to accompany the Nuendo audio should address this but be sure to check the import tempo tab.

Another option would be to record the keyboard overdub as a midi part and take this to Nuendo man where it can be used to trigger a soft synth or sound module. This gives you the advantage of a greater degree of manipulation of timing alongside the existing audio.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg