Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2009, 02:25 PM

Default Re: "The current playback engine does not support a sample rate of 48 KHz" error when

Isn't opening a session in a different sample rate other than it was recorded at just going to create problems down the road?

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 10-14-2009, 03:15 PM

Default Re: "The current playback engine does not support a sample rate of 48 KHz" error when

We're talking creating a new session (only 44.1 avail). I can't create anything higher than a 44.1 session no matter what AND IT'S RIDICULOUS.

First: no - i'm not turning on the onboard audio to try and point XP audio to use that. NOBODY should have to at this point in the game.

I'm sorry, I REALLY wish I didn't have to say this but...
For the $-grab model this company adheres to one would think IMPORTANT issues like this would be a thing of the past...instead the past is all they're steeped in.
I mean, christ, we're still "bouncing to track" (is this joke ever going to end?), extremely limited with formats, it's overly-resource hungry compared to all other like apps, the UI is god-awful IMO...it's just not acceptable at this point.

I really WANT to like it...believe me I DO!!

Back to the issue here:
Look, in Sonar, Vegas,...nearly EVERY other app it's no hassle and easy to setup a new session from 44.1 to 96khz/192khz. There's no excuse for this not to be the same in PT. Can you give me a VALID reason for this?

I use Sony Vegas (or Acid, or Sonar) most of the time - BECAUSE IT WORKS (and the UI kills PT 60 ways south)... but when a client who knows no better insists on this (PT with 48kHz or higher session), it should be no problem to setup Well I guess not...can't create a 48kHz session right now.

Note: I know DAW systems and all my systems are tip-top. I'm not re-installing or formatting ANYTHING as I already KNOW this will accomplish ZERO with this issue.
I've scoured the forum and KB for a real answer - nothing.

The answer is in digi's hands - the issue is with PT (mpowered and LE, no problem with our PTHD at the studio space).

For home studio using PT 7.4 (latest CS) with 2 modded Delta 1010s (non-LT version) and the best PT compliant driver. Now I usually use 44.1khz, which works fine all day.
Try and setup a 48khz project and it's error and close all day long - no matter what panel setup/config.

My friend in SD has the same setup and problem on a PT8 system.
No way am I upgrading to PT8...no flippin way. Not until I see a REAL, complete re-write of the app.

I had a talk with the client and showed what we do using Vegas (or Sonar, etc.) and we'll be moving fwd with that.
But I still want to hear from DIGI as for WHY this is STILL a problem, and demand a fix for this RIDICULOUS, GARBAGE issue. Enough is enough.

Sorry, but BS like this isn't acceptable at this point. You know it, I know it, and I suspect Digi knows it.

Can ANYONE provide a viable work-around/fix for the above issue?
Old 07-02-2010, 02:24 PM

I've been having the same problem. Couldn't open any PT sessions at any sample rate other than 44.1 kHz. AND... I had only Delta devices (and the Roland VSC midi device) listed under the pull-down menu for default audio playback devices in Control Panel => Sounds and Audio Devices, and was thus unable to follow Digidesign's instructions to make another device the default instead of the Delta. I restarted, went into the BIOS, turned on the motherboard's audio device (Realtek HD) and proceeded. Booted up, installed the driver, rebooted, etc. Realtek then showed up as an option in the pull-down menu. It had already made itself the default device. Pro Tools works fine now. The problem is, iTunes tries to use the default device. I'd really like to get all my audio to play out of the same device. If I had to, I could quit PT in order to first switch the default device to Delta, then open iTunes, and when I'm finished with iTunes, switch the default back to Realtek so PT will work, but that's a pain in the neck, and besides I'd like to be able to use PT and iTunes simultaneously. I suppose I could route the Realtek audio lines into my Big Knob as well as the Delta, but it just seems silly. Any advice on that would be helpful. Thanks, and good luck!
Old 07-05-2010, 05:21 AM

Hate to say it but this issue went away upon moving to PT8 (from 7.4).
tech help for days, and the only option was an upgrade to 8.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:28 AM

TRY THIS FIRST!!!!!

I just read a few of the replies don't know if anyone has said this or not but I always work at 96 except on a new session i recently put it to 48 and saved the session pro tools would not let me open any of my other files until i opened another session at 96 and saved it as "test" now it works fine hopefully this works for you so instead of trying all kinds of other things and beating your head against a brick wall try this first it worked for me.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:33 AM

i MEANT TO SAY TILL I OPENED A NEW SESSION AT 96 AND SAVED AS TEST
Old 02-23-2012, 01:56 AM

I am having this issue as well...

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=317741
Old 10-23-2012, 02:38 PM

Unhappy Re: "The current playback engine does not support a sample rate of 48 KHz" error when

I'm having a similar problem with my ProFire 2626.

I've always been able to switch sample rates freely in my Win 7, SP1. I've recently updated my motherboard and processor but my OS is still pretty much the same.

I'm currently unable to set my "hosted mode" to 96 khz (or higher, for what it's worth).

When you guys suggest to "disable all sounds on Windows OS", can you be a little more specific regarding how to actually do it?

I'm sure my M-audio device is not set as my default sound player in Windows, so if anyone has any advice on this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2015, 09:35 AM

SOLVED -
Same thing happened to me and this worked. Pro Tools playback engine was confused and defaulted to "Instant On Sound Effects"? (smh) - I just created a New session, went into Setup>Playback Engine and changed it to the audio interface I usually work with. Then I closed out of that session, opened the session I was trying to work on and everything was cool.
Hope this works for you too.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:10 AM

Great fix, Patso. Thanks!

I've updated to Pro Tools 10 and never had that issue again.