Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 04-24-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Using 3rd Party MIDI Patch Name files in Pro T

Quote:
Having gone throught the motu/digi ringer a few times I will tell what I know- The syntax in the midi patch files is different between the two- Infact, the syntax between the patch files between PT 6.4 and 6.7 is different as well. If you take the Yamaha DX7II file and open the motu version and the digi version this will be quite clear. The only way I have been able to manage is to copy the name info from the motu document into the digi document.

charles maynes
Exactly, the formatting is completely different and not cross-platform. What is the point of a non-standard standard?

I can't explain how disgusted I felt about the whole process as I was grinding through it. As implemented it is an absolute step backward from OMS, which is how old now?
Old 04-24-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Hi Charles,
Since you mentioned that you've been through this particular 'ringer', would you have a relatively concise, step-by-step, approach for converting MOTU patchlists to Digi patchlists, that you would be willing to impart?
thanks,
jep
If my experience was anything like Charles', it goes beyond explanation in a forum like this. There are numerous steps at which you can go wrong, and ProTools will give you absolutely no indication of where the mistake lies, and you will have no idea of even a general direction in which to move to correct your "errors," if weaknesss in ProTools can really be called errors on your part.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:12 AM
Avid

MOTU sometimes inserts code into the midnam files that Pro Tools doesn't recognize. If you are having trouble using a midnam file, open the file in a text editor and ook for any NoteNameList data (including any tags) in the .midnam file and delete it.

If you have patch lists from FreeMIDI/Galaxy or other editor librarians, you may be able to use an application called 'CherryPicker' to convert them to midnam files.

CherryPicker
Old 05-08-2005, 08:26 AM

Having changed back to softsynths due to the patch names obstacle course i would add the following wish. Digi, can you guys write a Utility that either checks the code or creates the document? DP does a pretty good job at having many instruments already created - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE step up to the plate and simplify this process.

PLEASE! You have made inroads toward sequencing and midi but you will not win the market over (i don't think) until items like this are addressed. And this is NOT to take anything away from digisupport trying to help in the forum. Unfortunately, getting these dev files and midnams to work is like manually setting printer codes - (anyone remember those days?)

best

scott
Old 05-11-2005, 09:27 AM

It appears the situation is no different than it's been for some time. Unless there's some great, hidden, untapped source of information on the subject, it seems there is no clear method for getting third party patch lists into ProTools. I admire much of Digidesign't product development, but Pro Tools could use a little more attention from a midi perspective. In this matter, I wish that Digi had a CLEAR patchlist conversion scheme and/or provided many more ProTools compatible patchlsts. Unfortunately, I believe this thread shows that editing 3rd party lists is a task which is far from straightforward. Further, and unfortunately still, there musn't be too many people clamoring about this issue, for the situation doesn't seem to be any better.
I was anticipating a concise fix when I first saw this thread posted

Could the original Digi poster let us know if anything is being done to help the patchlist situation in ProTools, or is this area of development/improvement "closed"?

thanks,
jep
Old 05-11-2005, 09:59 AM

I am amazed that this is still an issue. There are resources on the DUC that have links to sites where the user has already converted many items into Pro Tools friendly formats, but it still amazes me that in this day and age we do not have a simple utility that can read and convert from various files into a pro tools friendly format without having to actually dig in and write the tags ourselves.

Many Pro Tools updates flush your hard earned adjustments so you better make a back up now!

In an ideal world there would be a simple Patch Reader perferably built into Pro Tools that would go out and read the patch name and location on your device and transmit that info to you host. This could be perhaps triggered as an update by the user so if you are over changing patches on your device, you could then hit an update button on your track in Pro Tools and update the patch list. It does not need all the bells and whistles of the old Universal Patch Librarians but it should allow updating the patch name.

It behooves the manufacturers to standardize the way they transmit this info so it is easy to program the reader from within the host.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:20 AM

I see you detailed discuss the problem, but i got this message:

"MIDIServer patch file, bank or mode information not available for this instrument"

when i try to change the patches on my XL-7 midi track. No way to find why it happens, do i have to correct the device name on the Digidesign Device List.middev or change the midnam file name or change the names into it? Is it connect to the midi configuration? any help?
All i do with wavestation and Micro Q works fine and so i can't understand where is the problem.

Ciao to all
Old 05-16-2005, 08:04 AM
Avid

edemunari - It's not quite clear where your problem is occurring. The .middev file must contain a description of your instrument, while the .midnam file contains all the patch name info. The names of the devices in both the middev and midnam files must match EXACTLY. Most likely this is the issue - check that the names in both documents match, then try again.

If you are still having problems, please describe the exact steps you're taking before you get this error. Also, where did you get the middev and midnam files from?
Old 05-16-2005, 09:33 AM

In library/audio/midi devices Digidesign Device List.middev file contain:
<MIDIDeviceType Manufacturer="E-mu"
Model="XL-7"
CanRoute="false"
SupportsMMC="false"
Image="OMS1027">
<DeviceID Min="0" Max="15" Default="0" Base="0" />
<Receives MaxChannels="16"
MTC="false"
Clock="true" />
</MIDIDeviceType>
In Library/audio/midipatch names/digidesign/E-mu, my XL-7. Midnam file contain:
<MIDINameDocument>
<Author>File generated with CherryPicker by Rob Martin 2003</Author>
<MasterDeviceNames>
<Manufacturer>E-mu</Manufacturer>
<Model>XL-7</Model>
<CustomDeviceMode Name="Mode 1" >
<ChannelNameSetAssignments>
Where do the names have to match?
I do the same with Wavestation but it correctly work, maybe i forgot something...

Thanks
Old 05-16-2005, 04:39 PM

Hey edemunari,

did you try the sometimes-works-magic-but-not-often:

<CustomDeviceMode Name="" >

(instead of <CustomDeviceMode Name="Mode 1" >)