Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 09-10-2016, 05:39 AM

Default Setting Up Multiple External Midi Devices and Virtual Inst. for Simultaneous Record

I've got an electronic drumset (Midi-USB converter), drum machine (Digi 3 Rack Midi), and an M-Audio Keyboard (USB) hooked up to my desktop, and below are the settings have I have PT8 configured at. Up until now I haven't made a lot of use of MIDI plugins, and from what I understand I should be able to run all these MIDI devices at the same time while recording too, but I can only seem to get either the drumset and drum machine to work at the same time, or the drum machine and the M-Audio Keyboard to work at the same time (plus 4 virtual instruments). I got my drumset set to BFD Lite, and my drum machine set to Boom for virtual instruments. How can I get all these MIDI controllers to work at once, for recording too? And also every time I open PT8 I have to change the Output channel settings from eg. 2 -> 3 so is there a way I can prevent this extra hassle?

Here are some screen prints of my PT settings:

Track Settings -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzF...ew?usp=sharing

Peripheral Settings -

Old 09-20-2016, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Setting Up Multiple External Midi Devices and Virtual Inst. for Simultaneous Reco

It isn't quite clear what you're trying to do. Are you trying to record all the MIDI parts at once, or audio parts played by the MIDI tracks?

Old 09-29-2016, 05:12 AM

Default Re: Setting Up Multiple External Midi Devices and Virtual Inst. for Simultaneous Reco

To reiterate: I can only seem to get either the drumset and drum machine to work at the same time, or the drum machine and the M-Audio Keyboard to work at the same time (plus 4 virtual instruments). I got my drumset set to BFD Lite, and my drum machine set to Boom for virtual instruments. How can I get all these MIDI controllers to work at once, for recording too? And also every time I open PT8 I have to change the Output channel settings from eg. 2 -> 3 so is there a way I can prevent this extra hassle?

Don't really know how to make this clearer, but I'll try (maybe responding with a question will help...): Should I be able to run 1. an electronic drumkit set to BFD Lite 2. an external drum machine set to Boom 3.) an m-audio keyboard set to Xpand2/Hybrid/Vacuum ALL AT THE SAME TIME (both before recording and obviously during record, too)? Because now I can only get either a. the electronic drumkit or b. the drum machine to stabilize on the given track settings along with the M-audio keyboard, but not all three external midi instruments together.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:27 AM

Can you provide a snapshot of your Midi Studio Setup? This is where you define which external devices communicate on which channels. The keyboard usually gets all channels of communication. The drum machine, traditionally communicates on channel 10.

I set up midi studio then I go into each external device and set up it's communication channel and ID Device #. This makes the midi thru network understand which channel to communicate on for a given device when in protools. Not all devices have the ability to channel their communication channel however and you have to set it to their default if this is the case.

Hope that is clear.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:11 AM

Step 1-in Midi studio setup, each of your external devices needs to be listed there with the Input port defined and I would also assign midi channels for each external device.

Step 2-In the MIX window, select View>Mix Window Shows and check Instruments. This adds a row of boxes across the top of the MIX window where you can see what midi device will "play" each Instrument/Midi track. By default, these tracks will all be set to ALL(so each track will "listen" to every available midi signal coming in). That's fine when you have only 1 external trigger. with more than one, you need to assign each external device to the desired track.

This is a great reason to use Track Presets(if you don't know what this is, search youtube for Pro Tools Track Preset Hack to learn more). As an alternate solution, create a blank session and add 3 stereo instrument tracks. Name them for each of your external midi devices and preset the incoming MIDI source in the top "Instruments" box and save this session. Now, whenever you want to use your external midi stuff, just import the appropriate track(s) from the session you made above.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave