Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Novation Remote SL, known problems?

Hi,

I am using a Remote 61SL with my Factory 003 on a Mac Pro.
I keep having problems with the MIDI falling out, ( no MIDI in).

When I try to access the MIDI setup (either through PTLE or directly from Applications), I get a message saying it "can´t access the MIDI Server).

Then, when I try to repair Disk Permissions it finds problems that must be fixed. (text in red in Disk Utility)

I have downloaded and re-installed the latest drivers from Novation, including using the Sysex Librarian to import sysex files via USB to the Remote.

I am also using Sibelius 5, and this is also affected.

Has anyone had similar problems with Novation products?

Thanks for any hints!

Henrik Skram

Henrik Skram
filmcomposer - OSLO
Old 09-21-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Novation Remote SL, known problems?

I recently got hold of a ReMOTE 37 SL

re: MIDI Server. No problems as far as that is concerned. I'm in HUI mode, and it only took a few trials between the various MIDI send receive ports (both in PT and on the SL) to get it working properly.

A bit annoying the way the cram right-hand scribble strip details above the faders towards the left to make room for the sequencer status section. It means that the scribble strip info doesn't sit immediately above the faders it relates to. Now that's just bad! I'd really like to see that sorted on a future update.

Also yet to get it controlling plug-ins. I can see blue-highlighting around the plug-in parameters on-screen, just yet to work out what I'm doing wrong on the SL to access it. I know it works as I recall seeing it in the PT SL video on the Novation site. Must go and watch it again I think. Any ideas?

I like the transport controls, and getting used to using the SL to access other areas, however it's not going to (and I never intended it for it to) replace my mouse/keyboard.

I'm looking forward to creating some SL templates for use with Xpand, Hybrid, Synchronic, and the Structure sampler. They integrate easily through standard MIDI CCs.

Anyway, hope you're able to sort out your issues.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Novation Remote SL, known problems?

A disappointing product (i have the zeroSL). I concur with the reply above about the display problems. I followed the proceedure to set it up and have tried this a few times, but i'm not satisfied with what it offer me in terms of control for pro tools. Also, it just feels terrible and very unresponsive. It is fine for hammering out loops live, but not for anything subtle. It does communicate with every other main software program well though (reason, reaktor, ableton, logic) , it's just pro tools at the moment that sucks.